Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am a grand parent who has been granted placement one weekend

Customer Question

I am a grand parent who has been granted placement one weekend out of every month with our granddaughter, Aryonna. Our daughter is struggling with drug addiction and currently is incarcerated. Our granddaughter's biological father, though he himself had run-ins with the law, has gotten himself together, have a steady job, an apartment and is taking care of our daughter. The problem is that his current partner, who recently gave birth to beautiful baby girl, is interfering with our granddaughter's emotional health, by in-sighting hate, saying such things to Aryonna like "Your mother is a bad person", "She doesn't love you", "We hate her"., and is encouraging our granddaughter to feel the same. Our granddaughter is 7 years old.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am very sorry that this woman is speaking ill of your daughter directly to your young grand-daughter, I can understand how distressing this can be for your grand-daughter and for you as well. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like assistance with regarding this situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know wether or not I can hire a professional psychiatrist to take a professional stand or point of view if such document was coerced or likely not written by my seven year old daughter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant 7 year old granddaughter
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
What document exactly are you referring to because you never mentioned a document possibly being coerced or not written by your grand-daughter in your original description?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is my question, is there a psychiatric professional that I can have evaluate that letter. I don't believe that our 7 year old granddaughter wrote it. I believe that it was coerced by her controlling, over-the-top with drama step daughter. Her father, though we care for him, don't seem to stand up for our granddaughter
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Well I am still not sure what letter you are referring to as this is the first time you have mentioned it, but yes you can have a Child Psychologist/Psychiatrist with experience in legal matters evaluate your grand-daughter and the letter to determine if it was originally written, coerced, doctored, or fabricated. Unfortunately the letter alone is not enough, a mental health professional would need to evaluate your grand-daughter as well to understand if the mentality and memory of your grand-daughter writing this letter is intact and consistent with the content of the letter itself. So you would need both your grand-daughter and the letter in order to have a comprehensive evaluation.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?