Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My son was just diagnosed with ADHD I and has a cocaine addictions

Customer Question

My son was just diagnosed with ADHD I and has a cocaine addictions . What medication do you suggest
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.
Hello, I believe I can help you with your concern. Your question is definitely a good one because most medications to treat ADHD are stimulant based medications that are highly addictive, much like Cocaine. So the best type of medications that your son needs to consider would be non-stimulant based medications like Strattera, Clonidine, or Wellbutrin. Strattera is the first primary non-stimulant ADHD medication that is very safe and effective for adults. Clonidine is actually a blood pressure medication, but has an off-label use for treating ADHD. Wellbutrin is an atypical antidepressant that increases Dopamine much like the stimulant medications, but to a more moderate degree which allows this medication to have an off-label use for treating ADHD. I would recommend your son to start with the Strattera first and then consider the other two medications if the Strattera is not as effective as he would want for his ADHD symptoms.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. I wish your son all the best with his future treatment, and I hope he finds an effective regimen that lessens his ADHD symptoms. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?