Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Does amoxicillin have the potential to cause schizoaffective

Customer Question

does amoxicillin have the potential to cause schizoaffective disorder?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your question. So Amoxicillin, and other medications, cannot cause Schizoaffective Disorder as Schizoaffective Disorder is primarily linked to genetic origins and neuro-biological changes between the ages of 1-18 years old. But Amoxicillin does have the potential to cause hallucinations and emotional liability which can resemble a psychotic disorder like Schizoaffective Disorder. These adverse effects are very rare and temporary, so when the medication is removed from the system the hallucination and emotional liability will resolve. This is called a Substance Induced Psychotic Disorder as the psychosis is being caused by the Amoxicillin directly.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?