Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Last night my husband came to bed very drunk. He was talking

Customer Question

Last night my husband came to bed very drunk. He was talking out loud, as if he was having a conversation with other people. Hallucinating? He was having full out conversations on his side and does not remember it this morning. He is in the habit of drinking alone (I don't drink) and getting drunk by himself. What does he hallucination mean?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I can help you with your question. A minority of individuals can experience temporary psychotic symptoms (called Substance Induced Psychotic Disorder) when ingesting alcoholic beverages as this is a psychoactive substance. So there really is no major concern as regard to the hallucinations your husband experienced, especially if when he is sober he does not display any abnormal behavioral issues or psychotic symptoms. This is definitely not a sign or precursor to suggest that your husband has an underlying psychotic disorder if you are concerned about that. The other possibility is that the alcohol could be interacting with a medication or illicit substance (illegal drugs) in his body that can further cause temporary psychosis.
Overall the only thing that these hallucinations are a sign of is that your husband uses too much alcohol in one sitting and most likely has a severe alcohol use disorder. I would recommend that he consult with a psychologist and a psychiatrist to help him stop this addiction to alcohol which will completely resolve these psychotic symptoms you have noticed when he drinks too much.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?