Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Okay, well I'm waiting on another question to get answered,

Customer Question

Okay, well I'm waiting on another question to get answered, I'd like to ask this one. This one is kind of personal, but I'm trying to figure out where it's coming from. It's a personality quirk of mine. I have four years for a girl to hold her hand over
my nose and mouth. What in the world is this about? I can't really ask people I know.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Predictive text is messing me up here I believe. I meant the phrase to say I have for years found it incredibly attractive for a girl to hold her hand over my nose and mouth.
Expert:  therapist325 replied 1 year ago.
Hello-hoping to help a little with your question. What you are describing sounds like a fetish like behavior called erotic asphyxiation. This act reduces oxygen and blood flow to the brain which is believed to intensify sensations and heighten orgasmic experiences. So there is a physical sensation that can make people attracted to the act. Although it does intensify sensations it also reduces self control and judgment which can make this dangerous and even result in death. Had to add that part for safety reasons, so sorry for being a little of a buzz kill. There can also be a part of liking someone else to be in control. Do you like being dominated in other ways during sex? If so, that may also be part of the attraction to this behavior.