Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My husband gets impatiens and tells me to speed it up when

Customer Question

My husband gets impatiens and tells me to speed it up when I'm simply sharing a story about, say, my work with him. It makes me shut down and not want to proceed with the story, even though it may have a funny ending, etc. it's so hurtful. What is the best way to respond when he does this?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am very sorry that your husband behaves in this manner. A good way to respond is to immediately cut him off and say that you are not finished yet with your story and that you would like him to listen because you want to share your life/day with him. Remind him that you always listen to his stories because you are interested and you would hope that he could take a few more minutes of his day to listen to you as well because he cares about you. If you express to him how much it means to you to just listen for a little while longer when you tell a story and how you want to continue an open line of communication with him, than hopefully he will respond in kind and not interrupt you in the future. So overall you are going to preempt his rudeness and explain to him why this is important for him to listen and how you do it for him, and all you want is the same level of respect.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you