Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Recently, and despite other things happening in my life, and

Customer Question

Recently, and despite other things happening in my life, and my PTSD, I am finding it harder and harder to not feel hateful towards others. I understand some of my resentment, and my therapist is working with me on not thinking so black/white. But I'm having a real issue with coming to grips with people who are hateful, bigoted, and violent. I'm having a real hard time with people who make excuses for these people, as well. I'm feeling more and more angry, and I'm not a hateful person - but I'm becoming so, because there is so much stupidity and hatred in the world. I hate "haters". I really have no patience with them, and sometimes they are even people I know, or care about, who go on with their racist and sexist comments, and so forth. How can I not turn into them? By hating them and their behaviour I am becoming like they are. I'm truly afraid of becoming that way. I don't want to be hateful. I just want people to stop hurting others, and realize that their words and behaviour hurt others. I know what it's like to be hurt. I don't want others hurting people, and I don't want to be hateful, even to those who are doing the hurting - but I can't think of this in not black/white terms. Racists, sexists, child molesters, rapists, all these people that hurt others... I hate them. This hatred is eating me up. How do I stop it?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am sorry that you are having this issue with hatred, I can understand how distressing this can possibly be for you. I would like to ask you a few questions to get a better idea of your situation, so that I can better assist you.
1. For how long have you been in therapy and what type of therapy are you undergoing (e.g. CBT, DBT, Mindfulness, Psychoanalysis, etc…)?
2. For how long have you had this overwhelming feeling of hate for people that do wrong in the world?
3. And why do you think you are going to turn into these people as your hate is more directed against prejudice and wrong? Also what do you feel you contribute to help lessen hate in your own life and in the world in general (e.g. being nice, volunteering, etc…)?