Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am having problems finding a psychiatrist that trust

Customer Question

Hi, I am having problems finding a psychiatrist that trust me enough to go back on my Xanax even though I desperately need it for panic attacks and some PTSD issues that come us from a rape when I am staying by myself. I have had suicide attempts in the past but those were years ago and circumstances were totally different. I have insurance now, a huge support network, I see a therapist every two weeks and have for almost for years and I'm on the right meds. How do I go about finding a doctor that isn't going to stigmatize me and instead see how hard I'm trying? I don't want to be given them all of the time but I definitely need them when my body I'd becoming overwhelmed during flashbacks and coping isn't working. I think it's inhumane to keep me tortured. Thanks for listening. Misty.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am sorry that you are having this issue with your medication and your doctors, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. Unfortunately there is no clear way to get a prescription for a benzodiazepine as every medical doctor, and in this case psychiatrist, has the discretion to prescribe what they are comfortable with and what is necessary for the patient. Benzodiazepines are a controversial subject these days due to the overwhelming regulation as these are one of the most frequently abused controlled substances on the market, so doctors are frequently turning away from them for other alternatives. The best way to try to find a psychiatrist (not a psychiatric nurse) that will be open to the idea (not a guarantee) to prescribe a benzodiazepine would be to find an older psychiatrist, usually ones with at least 30 years of experience under their belt, as these psychiatrist are more open to prescribing controlled substances than younger ones. This is due to more knowledge and studies being done on the harm of benzodiazepines (e.g. increased dementia risk) that is being told in current medical schools and residencies, which older psychiatrists are not usually affected by. Another thing you want to look for are psychiatrists that only specialize in treating Anxiety and Panic as these psychiatrists are seeing more and more patients that need benzodiazepines so they are a bit less defensive about prescribing it. The same would apply to psychiatrists that specialize in ADHD who prescribe the controlled substances of psychostimulants as they are more open to it than other doctors and psychiatrists. Here is a good link to find a psychiatrist near you that specializes in treating anxiety disorder.
https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/?tr=Hdr_SubBrand
You put your zip code and then all the way at the bottom on the left hand side you select psychiatrists.
Also try to find private practice psychiatrists, not ones affiliated with a hospital as the more bureaucracy you have the less likely the psychiatrist will be willing to prescribe a Controlled Substance.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you