Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My grandson is 17 and having a lot of anger issues. he is very verbally abusive, threatens

Customer Question

my grandson is 17 and having a lot of anger issues. he is very verbally abusive, threatens to leave, hits stuff. his mom & dad are divorced and both parents in my opinion, contribute to his outbursts (my adopted daughter is the mom)We have learned from her biological parents that they are bipolar and have very poor coping skills. I personally feel that my daughter (who my grandson lives with) is afraid of him for herself AND that he may be sucidual. They both "push" each others buttons until neither can tolerate the other. The father is even worse and has "kicked" his son out in the middle of the street calling him names and swearing at him at least 3 times since he was 12 yrs old. The dad is very abusive and will "apologize" after he goes off and cools down for a couple weeks. This boy is having problems lisening and I am very concerned for him because he is so angry...I am 72 and unable to take him in because I do not feel like I can handle him...what to do? He is an outstanding
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am sorry that your grandson is having these issues, I can understand how distressing this can possibly be for you. I would like to ask you a couple questions to get a better idea of what you are looking for, so that I can better assist you.
1. So because your grandson was taken to a clinic and stated that he did not want this type of treatment, would he be against the use of psychotropic medications as well, or is it just therapy?
2. Would the parents of your grand-son be willing to send him to a possible camp for around 8-12 weeks that actually assesses and treats adolescents with behavioral problems like your grandson?
3. Are you willing to accept the possibility that there may be nothing you can do if the parents are not in agreement with treatment and if your grand-son is not willing to undergo treatment either as he must first be willing to help himself?