Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My 21 year old daughter is very disrespectful she is always

Customer Question

my 21 year old daughter is very disrespectful she is always angry and whenever I tell her she is wrong about something she leaves to go and stay with her friend. She has decided to drop out of uni and find a job. She is out late everynight and she has experienced with drugs.
I dont know how to help her but it seems like its getting worse everyday..
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am sorry that you are having this issue with your daughter, I can understand how distressing this can possibly be for you. Unfortunately there is very little you can do to help your daughter as she is an adult and she has to choose to help herself. What you can do is to suggest to your daughter to look into therapy for herself so that she can receive guidance and emotional support from a professional. 95 percent of the effort will be coming from your daughter during these therapy sessions, and during the sessions she can vent and process these negative thoughts and emotions causing this anger and confrontational attitude with you. At some point family therapy sessions may be suggested to help you and your daughter develop a better connection with each other. I know you want to help your daughter, but only she can choose to help herself right now.
If you talk to your daughter about the benefits of therapy and how it can be a safe place for her to vent and talk to someone about her choices, future, and feelings maybe your daughter will be open to it. But remember the choice of going to therapy has to be voluntary for her, so do not push her into therapy, just gently suggest it as a viable option.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you