Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I was recently on celaxa and could not stay awake. I am researching

Customer Question

I was recently on celaxa and could not stay awake. I am researching antidepressants that might work for me
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.
Hello I believe I may be able to help you with your question. I am sorry that the Celexa did not agree with you, I can understand how the side effects of any antidepressant can be bothersome. So lets go over some options that you can consider:
1. If you only have depressive symptoms and not any anxiety symptoms, the use of Wellbutrin could be effective for you. This is an atypical antidepressant that actually increases dopamine and norepinephrine so it is meant to give you energy, focus, and motivation. That stimulation though by the dopamine can cause increased anxiety and agitation, so that is why Wellbutrin may not be a good medication for people with an Anxiety Disorder.
2. The next option would be Effexor which is a SNRI antidepressant and this medication increases norepinephrine and serotonin. The Norepinephrine increases helps to increase energy, focus, and motivation (but not as much as the Wellbutrin would). This medication treats both depression and anxiety effectively and has a low likelihood of causing drowsiness like other antidepressants
3. Lastly would be to consider Paxil, which is a SSRI antidepressant that only increases Serotonin selectively. This antidepressant is known to treat both depression and anxiety and has a low likelihood of causing drowsiness compared to other antidepressant.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. I truly wish you all the best with your continued treatment. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?