Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I'm Bipolar/severe anxiety disorder/PTSD Need help finding

Customer Question

I'm Bipolar/severe anxiety disorder/PTSD Need help finding a Psychiatrist who is trained in my illness but can't find any in Yuma AZ where I live. Yes we have doctors but they do not understand the illness therefore they are ill provided with the proper medications to give out and when they cannot find an answer to my problem (medication to help the side effects) I have unfortunately been dropped or they move to other parts of the Country due to insurance issues in Yuma. We have a hard time with keeping Doctors here anyway, Yuma is not a really good hub for the medical community because we are so close to Mexico and we have our Snow Bird Visitors so Doctors are over run with Patients. I am not doing well and need advice, please don't say "go to the hospital", I'll scream if I hear that answer again. Just want to know if there's still help out there for people like me and if I can be directed to it even if it's on line help. Sarcasm is not what I am looking for and unfortunately I have received it online before it is hurtful so if you can answer with calm it would be so well appreciated, I'm at a sensitive state and it means a lot to hear from a Doctor that has a heart for a change. Thanks so much for your time. R.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am very sorry that you are struggling with these severe disorders and not able to get the treatment that you need, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. I would like to ask you a couple questions to get a better idea of your situation, so that I can better assist you.
1. Because you describe Yuma as more of rural area with a lack of psychiatrists, have you considered traveling to major metropolitan areas where there are more of an abundance of psychiatrists?
2. In some rural areas they provide a form of telehealth, where your internal medicine doctor can confer with a psychiatrist from another part of the state or in some cases the country, has this been suggested for you?
3. What is your current medication regimen, and doses? And what medications and doses have you tried in the past?
4. Lastly because this website DOES NOT provide any treatment at all, what type of "advice" are you hoping to get? Also I read a previous question you wrote last year that was similar to this issue and I have to point out that medication prescriptions online is not possible at this time, so an online mental health professional taking over your case is not feasible.