Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I don't even know where to begin. I grew up in the foster

Customer Question

Hi. I don't even know where to begin. I grew up in the foster care system and was diagnosed with ADHD add....they gave me a cup with meds in it but I never asked any questions. I recently reconnected with my foster Mom and she told me what the medicine was for. I aged out of the system and they cut me off. My life went into a tailspin! I have been married 3 times and even lost rights to my son because I was so lazy. I didn't have any motivation. I even started stripping but was always getting fired. I lost my license 12 years ago. I started college twice and quit once and failed out the second time. I'm a mess! I can't concentrate. I've been clean from drugs for many years, pain pills cause they gave me energy and motivated me. I can't live like this! My new husband gives me such a hard time because I just can't bring myself to clean. I have 2 small children and I want to be involved in their lives. Both of my sisters suffer from ADHD and so does my Dad and two of my nephews...I can see the symptoms in my 4 year old daughter as well. Please don't think I'm drug seeking....I took Suboxone for 7 years and I came off of it cause it made my symptoms wayyyy worse. I got saved and born again but it breaks my heart cause I can't concentrate enough to read the Bible or even pray. My Mama died 2 years ago and she had a prescription for Adderall and I took a couple. I felt so normal!!! Please tell me what I need to do. I can't live like this and I'm afraid I'm going to lose my family. I feel so restless and can't enjoy anything. I've been on every antidepressant you can think of but they have never helped me. Thank you so much and have a blessed day 😊
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am sorry that you are having this issue with your ADHD, I can understand how distressing this can possibly be for you. I would like to ask you a couple questions to get a better idea of what you are looking for, so that I can better assist you.
1. Since it appears you are trying to stabilize your ADHD through the use of a psychostimulant, have you considered seeking treatment from a psychiatrist that specializes in ADHD, and mentioning your history of ADHD?
*Please also note again that this website DOES NOT PRESCRIBE medications, we only provide information.
2. Can you name the medications you have already tried to help lessen your ADHD symptoms?
3. And because it appears you are looking for Adderall, have you been denied Adderall or other psychostimulants in the past?