Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am desperate as stopped taking noratriptyline two weeks

Customer Question

Hi I am desperate as stopped taking noratriptyline two weeks ago and have spirrelled into depression can't sleep eat. Dr put me on low doze prozac and amitriptyline to build up gradually as I know I have a sensitive system. Now I am thinking that my brain still craves the noratriptyline even though was only 2.5 mg. can I go back on noratrip along side amitrip until I stabilise
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I can answer your question for you. You can use nortriptyline together with amitriptyline, but you may experience adverse effects of drowsiness, blurred vision, dry mouth, flushing, decreased sweating, difficulty urinating, abdominal cramping, constipation, rapid heart beats, confusion, and memory problems. The adverse effects are usually more prevalent in the elderly and at higher doses of both medications, so I do not believe you have to worry. You can ask your doctor if you want to combine both TCA antidepressants, but the Prozac is usually considered a more effective antidepressant with less side effects and if you gave it time it will start to be effective in lessening your depressive symptoms. Most likely you are not experiencing any withdrawal symptoms from coming off the nortriptyline as you were on a very low dose, but instead you are experiencing a relapse of your depression and it takes time for the new medications to fully circulate in the body (a few weeks) to lessen these depressive symptoms. Still the choice is up to you and you can discuss this with your doctor.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate it if you can provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you today. Thank you