Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, Type II, but haven't

Customer Question

I am diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, Type II, but haven't been on any medication for it since 2010 I believe. I am also diagnosed with Insomnia and a few other mental health disorders - e.g. PTSD and panic disorder with agoraphobia. I am not currently on any medications for these either.
For the past couple of weeks, I've had a horrible time sleeping. I have only been averaging about three hours of sleep per night and will sleep throughout the day for a couple of hours at a time. I recently ordered an over the counter natural sleep aid - Serene Wellness: Serene Dream - to help with the insomnia, but it didn't help that much. The last time I took this dietary supplement was last night. I would like to try to take two Tylenol PM capsules (combined 1000 MG of Acetaminophen; combined 50MG of Diphenhydramine) and was wondering if it would be safe to take.
Thanks for you help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I can help you with your question. I am assuming that you want to take the Tylenol PM capsules by themselves and not combined with the Serene Wellness, at least that is what I understand from your description. It is perfectly safe to take two Tylenol PM capsules given the combined doses you described, but you realize you can get the same benefit from a dose of Benadryl since the main active ingredient in Benadryl is Diphenhydramine. Benadryl is often used as an off-label sleep aid and if you take that over-the-counter medication instead of the Tylenol PM you would be avoiding the extra doses of Acetaminophen that will not help or hurt your sleep cycle.
Overall though, it is perfectly safe to take either two tablets of the Tylenol PM or a dose of the Benadryl which can be increased up to 100mg of the Diphenhydramine as a sleep aid.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate it if you can provide me with a positive rating so that I can receive credit for helping you today. Thank you