Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My grandaughter is verry deprest she is saying she not happy

Customer Question

my grandaughter is verry deprest she is saying she not happy with her self wants to kill herself.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am very sorry that your grand-daughter is suffering from depression and is currently having suicidal ideations, I can understand how distressing this can be for her and for you. May I ask, what exactly is your mental health question that you would like me to assist you with today? And also because she states she wants to "kill herself" have you called 911 to have her hospitalized?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from yo. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
I see that you requested an additional service, but it does not say what additional service you are looking for. Can you describe to me what you are looking for and what your specific mental health question is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would like know where we can take her for long tearm healp .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she needs to learn how to love herself .she does not think any thing about her is ok.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Well right now she needs to be hospitalized immediately if she is a danger to herself. The acute hospitalization will make sure she is safe and being medicated to lessen these depressive symptoms, so you have to call 911 immediately and tell the operator about your grand-daughter and why you believe she may be a danger to herself. Than after the acute hospitalization she may be referred to a hospital program called Intensive Outpatient Program or IOP. This is an intense form of half-day or full-day outpatient activities to help a patient adjust to the reality of a mental health disorder, in this case depression, and to help them to better cope with said depression. Her medications and this form of group therapy will help your grand-daughter, but she would still need to see a psychologist for individual therapy. I can recommend a few good psychologists, but I would need to know what zip code your grand-daughter lives in. Long-term treatment for depression is usually done on an outpatient basis with therapy and medications, she does not need to be hospitalized for long-term, which is a good thing for her quality of life. So once you provide me with your zip code, I can recommend a few good psychologists near her that can help her to overcome this depression.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
her zip 28214
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Thank you give me a few minutes to compile a list of suitable psychologists in her area. But remember though she needs to be taken to the nearest ER immediately if she is a danger to herself where she will be medicated and referred to a psychiatrist for long-term medication management. But medications only treat the symptoms, not the core causes, this is why the therapy with a psychologist is so important.