Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My wife thinks I have Aspergers. Which I know is not the case, but took some of the online

Customer Question

My wife thinks I have Aspergers. Which I know is not the case, but took some of the online tests to humour her. She also went around telling people I was alcoholic after doing an online test. So I gave up all alcohol six weeks ago just to get her off my back. The only positive about that is I've lost three kilos and surprisingly I haven't been tempted to open a bottle or take a glass even if she herself is having a drink with dinner.
I coming to the end of my tether on this stuff but can't get through to her.
The problem is that she's become obsessed with self diagnosis. How do I get her to back off this type of thing? She's filled the house with drugs and alternative treatments for various ailments and I've spent a fortune on doctors, specialists, therapists, herbalists, etc.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am sorry that you are having this issue with your wife, I can understand how distressing this can possibly be for you. I would like to ask you a few questions to get a better idea of your situation, so that I can better assist you.
1. You stated that you have been to doctors and specialists, what have they said about these diagnoses your wife has given you? And what does she say in response to what these specialists have told you?
2. have you two tried couples therapy to help address this issue together?
3. And are you willing to accept the possibility that there may be nothing you can do since only your wife can choose to change her behavior and choose to seek treatment for her own internal issues?