Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My wife and I are getting divorced when our house sells. My

Customer Question

My wife and I are getting divorced when our house sells. My frustration comes both from the sadness of losing someone I love but also from the folly of her reasoning. She seems to have the opinion that life will be better somewhere other than where she is living currently, the career opportunities will be better etc. She says that I am her best friend and that she loves me but this is not the "last chapter" of her life. I am trying to make the remaining time until the house sells happy with her. I wish that I could let go and not care but I'm sad for me and scare for her financial future. Am I wrong to continue to care about someone who seems to have more care for themselves than me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello again, I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. I can understand how difficult this divorce process must be for you because it is obvious that you do care for your wife a lot despite everything. There is absolutely nothing wrong to continue to care for your wife and wish her the best, ***** ***** cannot let that be a focus as you have to take care of yourself as well and strive to move forward with your life. Your wife probably is making a mistake and has a fallacy of judgement that thinking a divorce will automatically make her life better, but that is her choice to make unfortunately. You caring for her shows that you still love her unconditionally and only want to see her happy, which is a noble quality to have. As long as you are taking care of your needs and not sacrificing your own well being to show your wife care and happiness during this remaining time together, and afterwards, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your feelings for her.
I hope this answers your question and provides you with some guidance on this issue. I truly wish you all the best and I hope you will be able to move forward from this very soon.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. If I answered your question satisfactorily I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much