Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am curious. I am diagnosed OKMH531233

Customer Question

I am curious. I am diagnosed schizoaffective, bipolar type and I don't remember ever being manic before. Although, I have been hypomanic, I remember being strapped down in 5 point restraints in the hospital a couple of times. Did they consider me manic then? I didn't. I think I had valid concerns and requests.

You're probably wondering why I don't just ask my pdoc. I am scared to death of my pdoc.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.
Hello again, I believe I can help you with your question. Just because you may not have experienced mania, it does not mean the Schizoaffective Disorder Bipolar Type is not accurate because even with a hypomanic episode, that is enough to meet the criteria for a Bipolar Disorder and Bipolar subtype when associated with Schizoaffective Disorder. I cannot tell you exactly if you met the criteria for Mania or Hypomania during your evaluation process as you have not told me your symptoms/behavior at that time and also I was not there to see your behavior either. Still even if this was a Hypomanic or Manic Episode, the Bipolar subtype would still fit.
I hope this answers your question and provides you with some guidance on this issue.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. If I answered your question satisfactorily I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much