Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have bipolar disorder. I'm having some depression along with

Customer Question

I have bipolar disorder. I'm having some depression along with having a major panic episode or panic disorder. I think I also have mania--the compulsion to complete a physically overwhelming task.
Can all these things co-exist?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. I am so sorry that you are having these symptoms currently, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. If you are having a combination of both depressive and manic symptoms than you could be experiencing a Mixed Episode, which is when an individual with Bipolar Disorder will experience both depressive and manic symptoms simultaneously or in rapid sequence of each other. In addition, individuals that are having manic episodes can definitely experience heightened anxiety and panic, so it is definitely possible for you to be experiencing all of these symptoms together. Overall these symptoms can co-exist together, but I do want to add that Mixed Episodes are not that common as they only occur for around 5-7 percent of patients, but the anxiety and panic that you are feeling is quite commonly associated with a Manic episode.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. I truly wish you all the best and I hope that these symptoms will lessen very soon for you. You can ask your doctor for a fast acting benzodiazepine to significantly lessen the anxiety and panic you are feeling as well.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. If I answered your question satisfactorily I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much