Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am a alcoholic...I think it might be a mental issue. Is this

Customer Question

I am a alcoholic...I think it might be a mental issue. Is this something you see often?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. Alcohol use disorder is a very common disorder actually, and one that is highly treatable with the right type of therapy. Typically the use of Dual Diagnosis Therapy is required as this addresses the addiction to alcohol and the underlying causes for the addiction (e.g. depression, anxiety, etc...). Sometimes the use of medications may be necessary to reduce the craving of alcohol, but this does not occur very often and is only reserved for chronic alcohol abusers typically. I can recommend a few therapists in your area to begin treatment if your provide me with your zip code, and like I said treatment usually only needs to last for a few weeks to a few months and your addiction can be resolved.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. If I answered your question satisfactorily I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much