Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am suffering from major depression - all I want to do is

Customer Question

I am suffering from major depression - all I want to do is lay in bed all day, which I can't do as I have 3 children. My doctor has me tapering off of cymbalta and moving onto Effexor xr. I am also taking lithium and ability. Do you think fetzima would be a better AD option for me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello and thank you for requesting me. I am so sorry that you are suffering from this level of depression, I can understand why you would want it to be resolved more quickly. The Cymbalta, Effexor XR, and the Fetzima are all SNRI antidepressants, so at least you are in the same class of antidepressants. Effexor XR has a better track record for treating depressive disorders compared to Fetzima, but this is also due to the fact that Fetzima is relatively new and has only come on the market in 2013-2014, so there is still a lack of peer reviewed research on Fetzima compared to Effexor. If you want my opinion, I think it would be better to continue with your transition to the Effexor as there is more factual evidence to support its use and effectiveness when treating a depressive disorder compared to the Fetzima.
If the Effexor does not work than you can try the Fetzima if you like. Or alternatively there is a mood stabilizer called Lamictal that is used primarily to treat Bipolar Depression or resistant cases of Depression and that can be a good alternative for you. In addition, switching from Abilify to Latuda can also prove more effective as Latuda has a greater effectiveness rate in treating depressive symptoms. I am only mentioned these other alternatives as future options "just in case."
I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. I truly wish you all the best with your treatment and I hope that the Effexor helps to lessen your depressive symptoms.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. If I answered your question satisfactorily I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much