Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Two of my older sisters are toxic and have been in the same

Customer Question

two of my older sisters are toxic and have been in the same type of emotional ruts for the past 15/20 years respectively. I can't take anymore of hearing how miserable their lives have turned out - I have my own issues (divorced and money woes); however, I have learned to work thru them and that I am responsible for my own life. My 2 sisters act like prima donnas/know-it-alls and can't listen to people when they are receiving concrete advice.
How can I just ignore them and keep myself sane and happy?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. I am sorry that you are having this issue with your sisters I can understand how distressing this can possibly be for you. I would like to ask you a couple questions to get a better idea of your situation, so that I can better assist you.
1. Have you tried just breaking off all contact with your sisters since they are toxic? If so, what happened as a result?
2. When you respond to them directly (e.g. "pull up their pants by the waste (sic) side and grow the heck up) how did they respond?