Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My girlfriend has body dysmorphic disorder, and she doesn't

Customer Question

my girlfriend has body dysmorphic disorder, and she doesn't believe she has the condition. What can I do to get her to understand that her condition changes the reality that she isnt fat?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am sorry that you are having this issue with your girlfriend, I can understand how distressing this can possibly be for you. I would like to ask you a few questions to get a better idea of your situation, so that I can better assist you.
1. What makes you believe she has Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)?
2. Is there any history of mental illness with your girlfriend?
3. How long has this been an issue?
4. Lastly, are you willing to accept the possibility that there may be nothing you can do to help her as any decision for recognition of her possible disorder and treatment has to come from her alone?