Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Good morning. Our 26 year old son ( only child)has just told

Customer Question

Good morning. Our 26 year old son ( only child)has just told us that he is suffering from depression and panic attacks. He is highly intelligent, college graduate and has a good job and lives with a room mate about a hour away from us. He says that he cannot sleep at night and he is in a very dark hole. It's scary, he has hidden this for a long time. He thinks everyone expect him to be perfect. He didn't report to work on Friday, didn't call ( a first) and now doesn't think he can face them on Monday. I believe he needs doctors care, just don't know what to do. He has never taken medication or even admitted he has these issues, which he now says have been for years. Should I make him report to work on Monday while I seek help from you or others? He is at our home now, sleeping. I think he was close to hurting himself. Thank you for any guidance you can provide. Terri
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. I am sorry that your son is having these issues, I can understand how distressing this can possibly be for him and for you. I would like to ask you a few questions to get a better idea of your situation, so that I can better assist you
1. Have these symptoms of depression and panic worsened recently for your son and that is why he is seeking help now?
2. Why do you believe your son was close to hurting himself?
3. Your son stated that he has suffered from these symptoms for years, is there a reason why he never told anyone or sought professional assistance?
4. Would your son be willing to go to the E.R. today to see a doctor and be prescribed an antidepressant?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good morning and thank you for responding and asking additional questions. I didn't realize this was an open forum , I should have, I will seek help from our private doctor when I can reach him. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
No worries, I understand. I wish your son all the best and I hope he responds well to treatment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome