Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Scenario: My husband once led me to believe that a friend of

Customer Question

Scenario: My husband once led me to believe that a friend of ours daughter (a late-teen at the time) made a pass at him (a 40+ yr old man) during our visit to her family. Upon convincing me to the point that I would have to address the girl's mother, he said, 'Oh I'm just kidding it didn't happen! I can also recall at least one other 'gotcha' that he found funny but was actually rather disturbing, which revolved around the not only false but disturbing death of an elder celebrity. Recent events have reminded me of these past incidents and has me very concerned about who I'm really sharing my life with. What am I to make of this?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. I am sorry that you are having this issue with your husband, I can understand how frustrating this can possibly be for you. I would like to ask you a few questions to get a better idea of your situation, so that I can better assist you.
1. How often does your husband play these "gotcha" moments on you?
2. When you ask him about it afterwards, how does he respond?
3. Does your husband have any issues with low self-esteem at all? Or possibly being sensitive to criticism?
4. What recent events are you talking about that have reminded you of his past?