Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

How do o get outta this funk I'm in? Feel my mind has lost

Customer Question

How do o get outta this funk I'm in? Feel my mind has lost it's focus and motivation for the last year or so... Even the simplest things are a chore... Work just getting by and my wife and I get along just fine with just a few bickerings. I stay up late every night and watch TV all knowing I hav to go to work in the early morning. I get like an average 3-4 hrs sleep a night. I do feel hopeless when I sit up all night and feel time just goin by and I'm missing life. Life's short and I don't want all these regrets to hit me when I'm older...I never thought I would be "that guy" who feels depressed and it's not my nature. I usually am a happy guy and not in bad moods etc..I don't want anyone to know how I feel as I'm embarrassed and feel weak and like I've given up. I've had blood work done and they say my sugar was high almost enough to be on medication but I said I would do better with it... I kinda do I guess ... It fluctuates like everything in my life... I hate this feeling and don't want it to affect my family. They are why I breathe and exist...I know without em I would be even worse. I hav never been diagnosed with any mental health disorders to date. I thought maybe I had a lowered testosterone level but my doctor said it was normal. I kinda sleep better with the Xanax but feel groggy so j don't always take them. I've had two back surgeries over the last 15 years and sometimes take a generic Percocet but I break them in three so I just take the pain edge off while working. I take maybe 1-2 in a 24 period... My doctor said that's not a lot as I was afraid I would be dependent on them. I don't hav an addictive personality but was worried cuz I hear so many horror stories about pain Meds. I do feel funny when I totally don't take em for a few days though? Idk Cuz I usually am sore by middle of work shift or a long day. I asked what I would do if I stopped and he said they would taper the amount and I would be fine. Idk I'm gonna b 49 in a couple months and just wanna enjoy life but something's stopping me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. I am sorry that you are having these issues, I can understand how distressing this can possibly be for you. I would like to ask you a few questions to get a better idea of your situation, so that I can better assist you.
1. You state that these symptoms have occurred in the last year or so, was there any event last year that you believe coincides with these symptoms?
2. Are Xanax and Percocet the only medications you have been taking?
3. I know that you feel embarrassed and “weak” by these symptoms, but would you be willing to talk to them with your doctor and possibly a psychologist?