Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I keep thinking about suicide, I wont do it...but I cant

I keep thinking about suicide, I won't do it...but I can't stop thinking about it. I want to do it...but I know that I can not. But, I am not sure what to do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I may be able to help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are having these persistent thoughts on suicide, but that is good that you know you will not follow through with them

Dr. Z :

You mentioned that you have tried counseling and prescription medications, so I am assuming that you have a history of depression, would this be accurate?

Dr. Z :

Also can you tell me about the content of these thoughts, are they very specific about suicide with a plan? And what holds you back from following through?

Customer:

I don't have a history of depression, really. I don't think I have been depressed, the prescriptions were more related to the 'eating disorder' but....

Customer:

the thoughts, they are ...well, yes, I have a plan, but I would not do it.... I know that it would hurt my parents that is the only thing that holds me back...because I know it would hurt other people, but they would get over it fairly easily,....but, I know my parents wouldn't ...it would hurt them...so no matter how badly I want to..i can't

Dr. Z :

Okay, well many individuals who had an eating disorder, also have underlying diagnoses of depression and/or anxiety, it is very common for those to co-occur together. So these thoughts that you are having are very serious and need to be handled in a manner appropriate to their severity. Are you currently in therapy and taking any prescription psychotropic medication?

Dr. Z :

Since you know you will not go through with the thoughts of suicide, that is a good and positive step that I want you to hold on to, but over time these thoughts may become overwhelming and you may try to go through with it, and that is what we both want to prevent

Dr. Z :

Could you tell me a little bit more about the eating disorder that you stated earlier?

Dr. Z :

I think that you may have stepped away from the chat because I have not heard from you in 20 minutes. But I do want to continue this discussion with you in more detail and see if we can find the best treatment protocol for you currently. I do want to leave you with these two links concerning suicide prevention hotlines in case these thoughts become overwhelming to you, because when that happens I would like for you to call these numbers, call 911 for yourself to or go to the local hospital emergency room to prevent you from following through what you said is right that many people care about you and do not want to see you hurt yourself. Also this family and support that you have are there for you too, to help you through this, so you can rely on them

Dr. Z :

When you come back online, please enter something in the chatbox to alert me that you are back online and we can resume our conversation

Customer:

Sorry, the eating disorder, I have had it for over half of my life....it's not goin anywhere probably....thank you though...if it gets too overwhelming I will look to those resources. I wouldn't ever follow through though and if I wanted to for sure, I wouldn't let anyone know, but I wouldn't ever want to follow through. I just want to....but not really, because it would impact others....and if it was just me, I would..but, it isn't and will never be, so...I won't ever...

Dr. Z :

Good, I am glad that you will not ever follow through with it, but I would like to discuss treatment protocols to help you right now

Dr. Z :

Are you currently in therapy?

Customer:

nope, not now

Customer:

tried and failed at that

Dr. Z :

Maybe you were using the wrong therapy modality. The two best therapy modalities to treat an eating disorder and a possible underlying depression is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT). I like DBT more for your issues as they are strongly based on regulating emotions and thought processes at the same time, and I think it is a better type of therapy modality for you

Customer:

Ok, I have no idea what kind of therapy it was....I don't know if it was DBT

Dr. Z :

I would encourage you to find a therapist that can specialize in this and help you, you do not have to suffer with these thoughts anymore, there is a good treatment for it

Dr. Z :

Most likely it was not DBT, it could have been CBT as that is more common, but I think you will respond better to DBT

Customer:

ok, I will try. thanks

Dr. Z :

I can recommend a good website for DBT self-help and also some good treatment books too

Customer:

ok, that would be good....thanks

Customer:

I don't know if I can wait forever for a solution, so if something will help quicker that would be good

Dr. Z :

Well DBT like all therapy is a gradual approach, but it is faster than most therapies out there. CBT and DBT were designed to provide a quick resolution to your symptoms, but if you want a faster resolution to your symptoms I would recommend seeing a psychiatrist for psychotropic medication. Usually a SSRI antidepressant is the first line treatment for these symptoms and they can start to be effective in a few weeks for you

Dr. Z :

Here is the DBT self-help website

Dr. Z :

And here are some really good DBT treatment books too

Dr. Z :

Would you be willing to use psychotropic medications to help you?

Customer:

ok, thank you very much, I will check the resources out.

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

No, thank you. I appreciate your assisrancew

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.