Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

with mother son incest, if you have overt incest is there almost

always covert with it

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your question

Dr. Z :

To answer your question directly typically in nearly all cases involving overt levels of incest that is openly displayed there are levels of covert incest and manipulation/rationalization involved

Dr. Z :

In addition, there are typically levels of coercion as well which can be considered covert levels of incest too

Customer:

i have not pursued the issue except in covert terms. there are all the typical sighs of covert and i have not addressed the issue of overt and will not for a while

Customer:

am i taking the right approach

Dr. Z :

Well incest is a very serious topic and should be approached carefully so as to not overwhelm you with the past trauma

Dr. Z :

Well I am curious have you discussed this incest with a therapist that specializes in past child sexual abuse?

Customer:

it is not me. It is an old childhood friend and son. She has cancer

Customer:

I do not have the money because I am helping her with her bills

Dr. Z :

Oh I understand, when you said you you have started to try to talk to mother, I though you were talking about yourself. I think your friend should first seek therapy from a specialized therapist in this area of childhood sexual abuse and incest and then is he feels it necessary to confront the mother

Dr. Z :

Okay, that is fair. Then confronting about the covert level of incest may be okay to help bring closure to this issue, but your friend should be prepared for the emotions that will come up, so take it slow is the best approach

Customer:

they have spent years in therpy but I dont think they have brought the issue up, because of shame

Dr. Z :

That is understandable, well they can discuss the issue among themselves to help him understand what motivated her to do that to her own child, but it may not take away the pain though, and he will still have to process this trauma

Customer:

I tell her it is over mothering He has withdrawn from society, lies to make him look important. lashes out in anger, abuses his meds when he had them. my first step was to stop the med abuse. I have that she was mentaly ill since my teens

Dr. Z :

These are definite serious mental health issues that should be addressed as well, but he is the victim and should be allowed to vent and talk about his thoughts and emotions that this trauma caused him openly with her, if that is the route they choose to go

Customer:

she shows signs of sexual. She conplains of not being able to swallow food well and doesnt like people to touch her and keeps men at her safe distance

Dr. Z :

Many individuals of past sexual abuse can also become abusers as well, this is a form of identifying with her abuser to help her cope with the trauma she suffered. She can address those issues as well, but she cannot use them as an excuse for traumatizing her son in the way that she did

Customer:

I never saw these triats until the last five years.