Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

bipolar disorder

bipolar disorder

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I would be happy to help with your concern, what would you like to talk about regarding Bipolar Disorder?

Customer:

Yes, I would like to get back to you on bipolar disorder.I believe I had a consultation with you before.

Dr. Z :

Oh you did, you must be using a different account name because there is no history of our past chat on your current account

Customer:

I wanted to make a clarification that basically, the psychiatrist I'm seeing diagnosed me with bipolar due to past relationships I had which are not good/deemed normal.

Customer:

I belong to a rich family in my country.

Customer:

And, I had a relationship with a guy working at the cemetery, like a grave digger/mechanic. Then afterwards I had a relationship with a jobless guy who had a criminal record and violent tendencies.

Customer:

Well, the problem is

Customer:

the psychiatrist I'm consulting with here told me

Customer:

that since I do did these things (had those relationships) which a person of typical situation/status like mine would not do

Customer:

and when I've been at the persistence of doing those things I'm in mania

Customer:

that's why I have been diagnosed as having bipolar.

Customer:

What do you think of this?

Customer:

I'm in depakote and abilify meds

Customer:

to stabilize my mood and thinking

Dr. Z :

Well do you have any symptoms of mood swings at all, bountiful energy, racing thoughts, fast talking, impulsive, insomnia?

Customer:

Yes, a lot of times when I'm not in meds

Customer:

even when I'm in meds sometimes I experience insomnia.

Dr. Z :

Can you describe those symptoms in more detail for me? When you have these symptoms do you feel very very happy (euphoric)? And any symptoms of depression too?

Customer:

Yes, I laugh a lot real loud, then suddenly get depressed so much and cry when I'm not in meds.

Dr. Z :

Any do feel that these possible mania and depressive symptoms occur in cycles?

Customer:

Yes, when I'm not in meds

Customer:

what do you think do these indicate that I have bipolar?

Dr. Z :

Then the cycles of mania and depression and the other symptoms are typical of Bipolar Disorder, so it appears that your psychiatrist made the correct diagnosis. The only other option for the mood swings would be Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), but these symptoms do have mood swings that are not cyclical and usually involve negative emotions (e.g. Anxiety, Depression, and Anger). But because you have emotions of euphoria with the other mania symptoms it would seem to indicate a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder

Customer:

what about the fact that I made the decisions to have those relationships?do they indicate symptoms of bipolar as they may be more or less wrong decisions when I'm in mania?

Customer:

I was told wrong decision making is also a symptom of bipolar.

Dr. Z :

Well individuals in a manic state can be impulsive and have poor relationships, but poor relationships is also a diagnosis of BPD as well. Here are a list of the symptoms associated with BPD, and some symptoms of Bipolar Disorder and BPD do overlap which is why sometimes there is a misdiagnosis.

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Z :

Wrong decisions, as you put it, is a symptom of both Bipolar Disorder and BPD. But you described more symptoms of Bipolar Disorder based on the Manic symptoms and the Cyclical nature of the disorder a well.

Dr. Z :

*as well

Dr. Z :

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer:

That's it. Thank you