Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

so the mother of my children had a manic episode recently. she is bipolar. been hospitaliz

so the mother of my children had a manic episode recently. she is bipolar. been hospitalized twice about 8 years ago.
she has been on epival over the last few years. now suddenly, apparently after stop takin the epival she had a serious episode, threatened to kill others and was suicidal. a criminal file was opened.

now the courts tend to turn a blind eye towards the risk over my 8 year old twins, and resume the 50/50 custody arrangement.
the risk to the children is serious but unpredictable.
in the past, doctors recommended that she was fully functional and no episode is expected. I am left with just praying to god it will not happen again - how can I prove to the judge that the psychiatric assessments are in no way guaranteed evaluation - it seems like everybody cares for the mother - but not for the safety of the children

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry you are having this difficulty with the mother of your children, and the doctors/courts

Dr. Z :

May I ask are the people that do these assessments, are they psychiatrists only?

Dr. Z :

The reason I ask is because a psychiatrist is not qualified to be doing these type of in-depth risk assessments, what you need is an evaluation by a Forensic Psychologist who is trained in this area to give proper risk assessments (e.g. HCR-20)

Customer:

i did not get the assessment. i just know from the her lawyer that they are very good.
she is seeing a social worker

Dr. Z :

While you cannot convince the judge to ignore the testimony of a doctor, you can get the right evaluation done by a proper specialist in this field to determine the appropriate risk.

Customer:

well i was not aware up till now about forensic assesment psichiatric

Customer:

this might be a good approach

Dr. Z :

Yeah a social worker is no where near qualified to make a risk assessment, only a Forensic Psychologist can do this and she can be sent to a public hospital to get this assessment done since she has a criminal file already.

Customer:

the problem is that 8 years ago when the twins were born, and she became bi-polar, we always received great assessments regarding her recovery and stability

Dr. Z :

I have done a lot of these risk assessments and they are only capable in a Forensic Psychologist's hands since my professions specialize in risk assessments and serious mental illness far more than the average therapist

Dr. Z :

Were they actually paper and pencil tests?

Customer:

do you know one in VANCOUVER, BC CANADA that I can refer to?

Customer:

no

Dr. Z :

So without a paper and pencil tests, then she was not truly assessed using objective measures. She was just asked questions, and most likely not the right questions either.

Dr. Z :

Give me a second to compile a list of good psychologists that practice Forensic Psychology in your area

Customer:

we received in the divorce proceedings an assessment of her psychiater who testified she would be good, and there are no worries.

recently, about a month ago, she had an extreme event, she threatened the life of others, and asked others to kill her - fortuately the kids were with me on that day - nobody expected this.

Customer:

thx

Customer:

is it forensic psychology or forensic psychiatry?

Dr. Z :

Forensic Psychology are better at assessments than psychiatrists. So you want psychology

Dr. Z :

Here are two good forensic psychologists in your area

Customer:

thx

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Z :

Anytime, is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

based on what do you recommend on them? personal acquiantance or past referral?

Dr. Z :

I recommend them for their experience, background in testing and evaluation, and schooling

Customer:

ok thank you very much
is there any publiction about forensic psychology and bi-polar that could give some good background ?

Customer:

forensic psych.+bipolar+children/custody

Dr. Z :

Well that is very specific, I am not sure of anything truly specific in regards XXXXX XXXXX off the top of my head, but there are literally tens of thousands of journal articles out there and I have only read a fraction of them

Dr. Z :

Here is something on Bipolar and Violent crime that I have been reading lately though

Customer:

ok great - have a great day - i will not forget to mark you right.
cheers

Customer:

gil

Dr. Z :

Thank you I truly appreciate it and I wish you all the best with your children and this custody issue. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. Before

Customer:

how can i contact you personally - can i require justanswer to direct me to you?

Dr. Z :

Well you can put "For DoctorZ only" before you type your question, but the best way of reaching to me is also by going to my homepage through this link and typing your question there

Customer:

k great - have a good one

Dr. Z :

You as well :)

Dr. Z :

Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much