RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Can spironolactone cause or worsen depression?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

While depression is not listed as a direct side effect when using this medication, it can worsen depression because it blocks androgen receptors, like testosterone, which can impact on mood and lower androgen levels, which can cause depressive symptoms.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Spironolactone is also known as a drug interacting with depressive medication, undermining their effectiveness, this is why it is important to let doctors know if the patient suffers of depression and if he/she is using any medication to control their symptoms.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Do you have any further questions I could assist you with?

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions, since I am here willing to support you as possible. Thank you.