Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

my daughter is 27 and she has OCD for14 years she has been

my daughter is 27 and she has OCD for14 years she has been on different meds and is seeing a therapy group every week an does not see any difference . she has what they call perfectionism in her mind. everything she says or is told she goes over & over in her mind and writes everything down. she lost her job because of this she has given up of getting cured. THANK YOU
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that your daughter is experiencing these symptoms of OCD, I can understand how distressing this must be for her and for you as well to see her struggling with this disorder.

Dr. Z :

I would like to ask a couple questions, so I can get some more information to better assist you today

Dr. Z :

Is your daughter only in group therapy or is she seeing an individual therapist as well?

Dr. Z :

Is this type of therapy Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)?

Dr. Z :

And you mentioned that she has been on different medications, do you know the names of the medications?

Customer:

she has seen a therapist once a week and a psychiatrist once a month

Customer:

group no Prozac,paxil,lexapro,luvux,zoloft,& anafranil

Dr. Z :

Well she has tried a number of different medications, it is possible trying a combination of the SSRI medication and the Anafranil can get a better response for treatment. Effexor at 225mg a day has been shown to be effective as well. There is also limited evidence to show that dextroamphetamine, a psycho stimulant, can be effective in treating symptoms of OCD.

Dr. Z :

Another approach could be Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), but this approach has limited benefits as it does not go deep into the brain to effect major parts of the brain causing symptoms of OCD like the Audate Nucleus, Thalamus, and the Anterior Capsule Fiber Tractsa

Dr. Z :

There is also something called Deep Brain Stimulation where small electrodes are inserted under specific MRI guidance in the brain to help "cure" OCD. The results of studies have been positive, but there are risk to this approach and this is why this should be a last resort when other methods have failed.

Dr. Z :

Your daughter appears to have treatment resistant OCD, which is very tough to treat but not impossible. This is why her doctors must look beyond the traditional treatments.

Dr. Z :

Here is a good article on Treatment resistant OCD that can give some guidance on this issue.

Dr. Z :

But also if your daughter is not currently undergoing Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), I would encourage her to do so as this is the most effective and evidence based type of psychotherapy to cure and manage symptoms of OCD.

Dr. Z :

Do you have any questions or concerns?

Dr. Z :

These are also the most effective CBT books for treating OCD as well that may help too

Dr. Z :

Are you still there?

Customer:

group no Prozac.lexapro,paxil.zoloft,anafirnil

Dr. Z :

Yes you said that already, did you see what I wrote though about different treatment options?

Customer:

yes thank you

Dr. Z :

Did you have any questions or concerns about it?

Customer:

no

Dr. Z :

Well I am happy that I was able to help you today. I wish your daughter all the best with her treatment and I truly hope that her symptoms lessen very soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.