Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Help. I have struggled with depression and anxiety since

Help.

I have struggled with depression and anxiety since I was 5. I am 40 now, married and have a 16 y.o. son. I have been coping, but just barely for years. Lately, I think of suicide all the time.

My general practioner has been prescribing me Prozac, klonopin, Xanax, and ambien for a year now. But lately I have realized I am abusing them, and taking a lot more than I should. I have confided in my husband that I know I am in trouble, but he does not believe me. I have not seen an actual therapist or psychiatrist in years as they did not really help.

But I feel like I am close to doing something stupid, either with a deliberate overdose or a gun. I do not feel in control of my situation and the desperation I feel.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are feeling this way currently, I can understand how distressing this situation is for you.

Dr. Z :

You have struggled with depression and anxiety for such a long time that it is starting to feel overwhelming to you and that is why you are having these suicidal ideations, but I believe that with seeing a good therapist and seeing a psychiatrist (as Prozac is one of the weakest of the antidepressants), you can get relief from these symptoms so that you can live the life that you want to live.

Dr. Z :

The therapy will take time as therapy is a gradual approach, but it will be very effecting for you to help to talk to someone. I urge to make an appointment with a therapist and with a psychiatrist as soon as possible.

Dr. Z :

Now if you feel that you are in imminent danger of hurting yourself, then I would urge you to either go to your local Emergency Room or call 911 so that you are seen by a professional right away and given the treatment that you need to protect yourself.

Customer: What would be a good place to find a psychiatrist and therapist I could see? My previous one has moved from the area.
Dr. Z :

There are other new types of treatments for depression and anxiety as well that you may or may not be aware that are very successful, so I believe you can and will resolve these mental health issues, so that you can live the positive life that you want.

Dr. Z :

What is your zip code, I can look and compile a list for you?

Customer: 30292
Dr. Z :

Okay give me a few minutes to look for psychiatrists and therapists.

Customer: Thank you.
Dr. Z :

So these are therapists in your area that specialize in treating depression and anxiety, so I feel they will be helpful for you

Dr. Z :

Now give me a minutes to search for psychiatrists

Dr. Z :

So here are a good list of psychiatrists near you as well. And actually I really like the last in a new procedure called Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) which is very effective for treating Chronic and Resistant Depression as well, so that can be something you may want to ask about if you are curious.

Customer: Thank you so much, I will make some appointments.
Dr. Z :

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer: I think I will be ok today. Thank you so much.
Dr. Z :

Well I am happy that I was able to help you today and I wish you the best with your treatment. I know that with effective therapy and medication regimen, you will be able to beat this and manage these symptoms. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.