Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

This is kind of like a general question and a mental health

This is kind of like a general question and a mental health question combined. So, I don't know if Patience, or something like that, is the perfect expert for this question since she might be an expert for both of these categories. Anyway, here is the question and situation: How can one deal with the following 3 stressors at the same time?: A. Deal with a job that one hates where he/she is also behind in his/her work at his/her job as well B. Be a caregiver for one's father, who is sick C. For the person in question to have a few health/medical problems himself/herself too Thank you for your guidance in dealing with all of this stress.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I may able to help you with your questions. Patience is not online right now, so I am happy to help you if you like, but if you want to wait for Patience that is perfectly understandable and I can opt out.

Customer:

No, your help is fine. I just mentioned Patience because she is an expert in both categories, I think.

Dr. Z :

Yes I believe that she is, but she does not come online that often and also these questions are more geared towards mental health, so I will be happy to help you

Customer:

O.K. Thank you.

Dr. Z :

So you definitely have a lot on your plate from what I understand and anyone would feel stressed/anxious because of this

Dr. Z :

May I ask have you ever been in therapy before or used psychotropic medications?

Customer:

I have only taken Xanax and Buspar before.

Customer:

I once took Lexapro, but since it was giving me a lot of dizziness, my doctor gave me Buspar.

Dr. Z :

Those are very good anti-anxiety medications, but to deal with these stressors you would need to develop quality coping mechanism to help you best handle them. I would like to teach you a few techniques to help you so that the anxiety and stress is not too overwhelming for you

Dr. Z :

I like Buspar more than I do Lexapro if it is just for Anxiety

Customer:

But I have never seen a psychiatrist, no.

Customer:

Other than the experts on this website.

Dr. Z :

Well psychiatrist primarily prescribe medications and do not provide therapy (only around 25 percent of psychiatrists provide therapy these days). Well I would like to teach you some good therapy techniques that are effective in lessening anxiety and stress so that you can better handle these issues.

Dr. Z :

Would you like me to show you them?

Customer:

Sure.

Dr. Z :

So the most evidence based therapy to successfully treat anxiety/stress is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective as well, then your symptoms will lessen.

Dr. Z :

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

Dr. Z :

In addition, these two worksheets are very good at helping lessen anxiety/stress symptoms. It can help you focus on the big picture and the objective/positive thoughts and outcomes.

Dr. Z :

Also individuals with anxiety/stress can have a poor coping mechanism, so this worksheet will help you develop a better coping strategy to manage your symptoms better.

Dr. Z :

This is a link for something called Progressive Muscle Relaxation that can help you create a long term calm by using muscle tension and release techniques; it can help manage your anxiety and depression and is very similar to a style of meditation.

Dr. Z :

These books also have a lot of great self-help techniques as well too that can help

Dr. Z :

These are some useful techniques to help you with your anxiety/stress to help you deal with these life stressors

Dr. Z :

Life stressors are unfortunate and sometime unavoidable, but that does not mean that you have to be stressed/anxious and overwhelmed by them

Dr. Z :

Also I am not sure if you want to go back on the medications or not, but these natural supplements are effective in lessening anxiety/stress as well: Glutamate, Valerian Root, Passion Flower, KAVA, and St. Johns Wort

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.