Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach

Hi I have a brother who is 42 and has always had a mind like

Hi I have a brother who is 42 and has always had a mind like a 15 or 17 year old and seems to attract girls around 15 or so. How can someone that is older but is stuck witha childs mind get help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 8 months ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about your brother's serious situation.

Customer:

Hi Rafael,

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you please tell me more about your brother, describe how is the way he actually thinks, how he does things and why you state he has a mind equivalent to a 15 year old person?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hi, Thank you for replying

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

it sounds truly concerning to know he has been involved in these serious problems and frustrating to know he is not receiving the support he needs.

Customer:

So we just got back from court since he got a probation violation for an accusation from said minor girl. He is already on probation for having sex with a minor. The way he acts I can try but I cannot say how he thinks since I am not in his head. Sorry I will do the best I can. He is my older brother and he just is very immature and I think my niece who is 14 isnt as immature. Women that are younger seem to hang with him and talk to him cuz hes a funny guy but he is alsi too pervered. He says things without thinking and then when you confront him he throws a fit like a kid

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see

Customer:

My brother has always had to take care of us since we was small and there is 6 of us and I am wondering since years ago when my mom divorced my violent drunking dad if maybe he had to grow up to quick and with him doing many drugs that maybe he got stuck n a certain mind set of a kid

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You mean he did take care of you years ago when you were little, but then as an adult has become this dysfunctional presenting childish and unacceptable behaviors and poor judgment?

Customer:

I want to find a psychologist that can go and evaluate him in jail. I do not want the courts to get one of theirs where we cannot see whats going on an ask the questions us family members want. So I need to have some kind of direction to look for one.

Customer:

Exactly thats what he became and then started lying so much that he lies for everything and beleives his own lies

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you also confirm if he did or have been using many drugs?

Customer:

He use to.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see, then a believe what could have happened here is a combination of several serious factors, from abuse , neglect and trauma from childhood, to abuse fo drugs, negative experiences and unresolved feelings, all leading to personality disorders and defenses that have created this dysfunctional life.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

In which state are you located?

Customer:

I believe that is what I think as well and that he gets and likes the attention from the younger females cuz he thinks like the younger crowd

Customer:

Idaho and city is Idaho Falls

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I think so. it's very sad indeed. Let me look for expert in this area with the expertise you need.

Customer:

Ok thanks Rafael.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're welcome.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

How far away from your location is Hailey?

Customer:

People with this " I call disease" can't be cured by looking him away. Many get locked away and come out thinking the same

Customer:

Hailey hmm ill Google it I know its not too close, Pocatello, Rexburg, Blackfoot are what is closest to Idaho Falls.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

He has serious mental disorders, and I am afraid these are chronic personality and other mental health disorders taht require consistent psychotherapy for him to have a chance for rehabilitation, there is no cure, but his level of functioning and mental-emotional stability could be built is he receives adequate professional mental health treatment and has a healthy support system. Obviously all of these could only be beneficial if he chooses to work on his rehabilitation process.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX see

Customer:

Correct. I do not agree with the help he is getting right now that is with others in the same room. He needs a one on one session that does not have others all talking about their problems. With his lying problems he can never say the truth in an open room with others but we feel with one on one he will soon be able to and then we can target the problem and go from there.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Right, compulsive lying is very serious disorder and tough to treat, even more if present with other serious disorders, he needs a lot of competent support.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The professional he needs for this evaluation is a "Forensic psychologist". I am trying to find one in your area but the closest one I found with this specialization and licensed in located in Hailey,

Customer:

Yes he does and we love him to death and it saddens us that all they want to do is lock away people with this disorder. I do not agree with his attraction with younger women but I do know he is nt a sexual predator he just likes them as if they was his age.

Customer:

Thanks. does it have a phone number I can call?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Sure, let me get it for you.

Customer:

ok.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

His name isXXXXX he is located at Wood River Counseling,XXXXX South - Hailey, Idaho 83333...

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

his phone number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand his email address XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Customer:

Thanks a bunch. I wish we could talk more since it helps me be calmer and not all sad and upset and disappointed at him for what has happened

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Also here is the direct link to the American Academy of Forensic Psychology: http://www.aafp.ws/diplomate_directory.asp

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

There you could find all the forensic psychologists registered in the US. From there you could get referrals to one close and available to provide this service.

Customer:

You been a great deal of help. I am glad to have looked into this and found your services

Customer:

Have a great day Rafael

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I understand and support you. This is very painful and frustrating, and that's why you as his family need to support each other to get the best professional sound support for him, hoping he would do his best to benefit from it.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you. You too.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or to follow up

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

since I am here willing to support you as possible.

Customer:

I will and thanks again.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're welcome. Bye.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

(please remember to rate session before you leave the chat. Thanks).

Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience: MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I called the Dr in Hailey and they tried finding someone here in Idaho Falls but said they could not find anyone. I tried to see if there was a way for them to come here and they said they could not

Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 7 months ago.
That's very frustrating. I am sorry to hear that. Did you try contacting the American Academy of Forensic Psychology in order to find out if they have anybody in their directory by that area?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

That I did not just yet and will right now. Thanks for the follow up that is very awesome of you.

Thank you for your trust. I really hope you could find the support you need. Please let me know how things evolve and I'll see if there;s anything I could do to support you better.

Bye for now.