Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Is 300 mg of Effexor XR too much to take. I had been on Effexor

Is 300 mg of Effexor XR too much to take. I had been on Effexor 225 mg for 8 years and started to feel the signs of my depression coming back. I increased it 4 months ago and it has help. No feelings of depression.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern today

Customer:

Is 300 mg of Effexor XR too much to take

Dr. Z :

The 300mg of Effexor ER is extremely high and actually not recommended by the manufactures. There was a study for severely depressed individuals that responded to Effexor (the immediate dosage not the Extended Release that you are taking) at 350mg that was very effective. But to date there have been no effective studies on over 225mg for Effexor ER

Dr. Z :

So I would not recommend it at this time, unless you are monitored by your doctor because the increased amount of Serotonin in you can cause serious side effects unless you are carefully monitored

Customer:

Should I slowly scale back

Dr. Z :

Now the manufacturers are usually very cautious with their dosages, so the 225mg may be a conservative estimate by them and 300mg may not be dangerous, but there are no studies right now to prove that. Yes you should scale it back gradually. I would take 300mg every other day for a week, switching from 300mg to 225mg then go back to 225mg every day after the week

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Z :

You are most welcome, is there anything else I can assist you with today?