Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Hi I battle to get out my flat with people out side , I have

Hi I battle to get out my flat with people out side , I have NO enthusiasm , weak , bad memory , to drive turns me inside out , no confidence , don't sleep unless I have a few beers under my belt & at least 2 tripoline , I work in the fuel & gas industry as a mechanic & they haven't let me work in 2 months . In this time I've had 2 hospital stays . At the moment I'm on 2 cilift tablets & 2 urbanol tablets a day . It dose not seem to be helping , what do I do ?
Please help ,
Russ .
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 1 year ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about how overwhelmed you feel.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for joining the chat

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you please tell me for how long have you been suffering of depression and if you have received any psychological treatment to work on your rehabilitation process?

Customer:

Hi Rafael , I battle with rejection & have been hospitalized 5 times or so over the last 5/6 years .

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hi.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Depression is a lethal mental health disorder, it could become very overwhelming affecting from your mood, to your cognition, any mental process, functioning, relationships and your life as a whole. You have clearly mentioned how you have been suffering of insomnia, memory problems, no motivation, poor self-esteem, and how you were hospitalized five times because of serious episodes of depression leading to these intense interventions. But regardless of this powerful psychiatric medication you feel this down and have been using more psychiatric pills and alcohol to get some extra numbness and sleep, which s very frustrating and concerning.

Customer:

Would celexa be a way to go ?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Russ, medication could help some times bringing some symptomatic relief, but not does not have the power to help you with your rehabilitation process, since for that only consistent and adequate treatment with professional support could allow you to heal from core life issues and rehabilitate from depression, anxiety and any other mental heal disorder you may suffer, including personality disorders.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Each medication does work in unique way in different people, there is no way to know how well or not this or any other drug would help you but by trying, and it should be your psychiatrist, who knows how well or not you reacted before to these other drugs, knows your medical history and current healthy status, and who could monitor the impact these drugs have on you to make necessary adjustments or chances,, who should be able to support you with it. But please, you need to understand that there is no drug with the power to bring you real relief, from feeling rejected, alone, depressed, anxious or from any other mental health issue, since these are about your ability to experince, cope and interact with life, other people and situations moment by moment.

Customer:

Listen I've haven't been allowed at work for over 2 months & they are trying to get me a disability from work as they don't understand . With out a salary I'm a nobody .

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

What you need is intensive psychotherapy, including individual and group sessions, and ideally family therapy too. Once group psychotherapy sessions get completed, you need to keep regular individual psychotherapy, and active participation of a support group, only this way you could process your past traumatic-painful experiences, and develop necessary skills and resilience to cope with life challenges, rehabilitating from depression and gaining back you mental, emotional an physical health too.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This is truly frustrating.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

They have not allowed you to work because of your mental health problems?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you please specify who are these people who don't understand and want you not to work at all?

Customer:

Yes , in the fuel industry & working on the tankers , but not been able to stand or walk properly & not think in a straight line / hold a thought for 5 min . I work for the Imperial Group , Tanker Services Fuel & gas . So yes I'm very lost .

Customer:

My Medical Aid is exhausted on hospital & therapy .

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry to hear that. Then here the first priority must be your health and well-being, if you are not able to even function at work, physically nor mentally, it would be unrealistic to push yourself, since you would only get hurt and further consequences would have to be afforded, and you do not need nor deserve any extra pain for sure.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Disability status would allow you to get financial benefits to compensate unemployment and health benefits too. Once you get rehabilitated, as soon as possible and convenient you could work part-time while keeping all the benefits you would be getting from your disability status. You have the right to get these benefits, and what you cannot afford is to continue not to have stable income not health benefits, your disability status would allow you to get them.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

What's your biggest fear about this whole situation.

Customer:

So do I try this celexa if my GP can get it for me just to be able to function ? To your question I still feel I have some thing good to offer , even if it's training , but I do realize they have a Co to run . Been as wound up as I am to train kids might not be the best thing .

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You have serious medical-physical and mental health impairment not allowing you to work, then it is essential for you to focus on how to get the support you need and deserve because of this serious reality. The last thing you want to afford is getting into new crisis, going back to the hospital because of your physical or mental heath and having to start all the process again. That would not work for you nor to anybody in your shoes,and only you know how tough i feels, this is why you need to get all the right support to work on making things better and easier for you, not harder and more painful.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You are right. But if you focus on your rehabilitation process now, take good care of it, then you would have the real chances to expect to perform int he near future, having the most important areas of your life stable and healthy.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This is a tough reality for you to face, but handling it with assertiveness and unconditional understanding and patience towards yourself, would allow you to make of your rehabilitation process reality, and from there you could rebuild anything in your life at different areas. Please request yoru primary care ohysician to refer you to a psychiatrist for him to be the one who coudl discuss and support you with psychiatric medication, sicne a general doctor does nto know enough abotu these drugs to provide you with the support you need and deseve

Customer:

I appreciate your honesty just wish I could get Dr's in SA to see & work to under stand what I'm going through . SA Dr say I myst go back to work , work don't want me . I understand both sides just wish to be well & functional .

Customer:

Your time & trouble is appreciated , keep well . Russ .

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I understand your situation, it is tough, only you know that, and you can only cope with what you can control, everything else depends on those supporting you, and that's why getting the best professionals available and is the way yo go with the help of your loved ones as possible, since they are your support system, key in your rehabilitation process.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Take gentle care, thank you for your trust.

Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience: MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach