Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

I recently moved from Ohio to Illinois. While in Ohio I was

I recently moved from Ohio to Illinois. While in Ohio I was taking Xanax daily. I have been told I will not be able to find a doctor to prescribe this for me in Illinois. This medication has helped tremendously with my Panic Disorder and I have tried many things. I don't know what to do. I've had to wait to get into a pyschologist and have since run out of my medication. I also was diagnosed and took medication for adult ADD, I also have been told (all of this by a nurse practicitioner referring me to doctors) that ADD is not a recognized illness in Illinois.

I am at a loss as to what to do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are going through these issues since moving to Illinois , I can understated how distressing this must be for you

Dr. Z :

First off ADHD is recognized in Illinois and Xanax can be prescribed in the state of Illinois as well. I am not sure who gave you the information that it cannot be

Dr. Z :

Typically these days general practitioners are wary to prescribe xanax and other benzodiazepines because of their addictive potential, but qualified psychiatrists will be able to prescribe that medication for you if it warrants such use. Psychiatrists are better able to help you as they can closely monitor you with these medications to make sure they are being used as prescribed. When taken as prescribed and under the supervision of a psychiatrist the Xanax and Stimulant medications prescribed to treat ADHD are perfectly safe

Customer:

I have a scheduled appointment in January for a Psychiatrist. Currently I am not working and have no insurance but am willing and able to pay to go to a private doctor if necessary. Of course going through a place called Aunt Mary's (more of a clinic) the first thing I needed was to be evaluated. She suggested the psychiatrist, which I knew I needed. This is the person that informed me that very very few doctors in Illinois would prescribe this and the issue with ADD in adults was not considered at that facility.

Customer:

I currently am out of medication. My physician in Columbus has given me a couple months supply of Xanax and my ADD to "do me" until I get to a doctor. Unfortunately it takes longer than we thought to get into the physchiatrist. I have a few xanax left but it has been 3 weeks since I've taken my ADD medication. As I've said, I'm at a loss as to what I can do. My am pretty certain my Ohio doctor will not prescribe ADD, as I need to be there, nor do I believe he will give me any more Xanax to help.

Dr. Z :

The xanax is going to be an issue because without a successful taper schedule you are going to suffer withdrawal effects unless you get a new supply of Xanax. For the ADHD medication, you can try to ask for Strattera which is a non-stimulant medication that most general practitioners are comfortable prescribing for ADHD.

Customer:

I understand the controlled substance should be controlled. My mother has chronic pain and has for years and goes to a Pain specialist monthly in order to keep her pain controlable.

Customer:

With my panic disorder Xanax has been the most successful. I went through a number of years in trying other medication.

Dr. Z :

Also many general practitioners are willing to prescribe Buspar and Gabapentin that can help with anxiety and panic disorder, although admittedly it is not as effective as the Xanax. But what this woman told you was very wrong and that Benzodiazepines and ADHD stimulant medications are readily prescribed by qualified professionals (usually psychiatrists) in Illinois , but you are right it takes time to see a psychiatrist there.

Dr. Z :

I agree Xanax is the best medication for panic disorders

Customer:

Of course the panic disorder even with the medication is flaring up with the issues I'm now dealing with for my other medical issues

Customer:

I have tried both Buspar and Gaberpentin

Dr. Z :

You are in a very difficult position right now. The Xanax and stimulant medications cannot be prescribed over the internet through Electronic Prescription because as you stated they are Controlled Substances.

Customer:

I do understand that. I was, however, in a panic when I was told this information and has no recourse and needed to talk to someone who knows something about it. I am going to call a Pyschiatric Ward at a hospital. That was the suggestion of my Nurse Practitioner was to admit myself.

Customer:

I am praying that my doctor in Ohio will understand the situation and call in a script for Xanax at least. I believe I said my appointment was in January. I could then at least taper off to keep me from the withdrawls.

Dr. Z :

To admit yourself? Wow, I am not sure where this nurse practitioner is from, but I have done some work in Chicago and I know psychiatrists there that prescribe Xanax, Ativan, Valium, Klonopin, and others, so there are professionals that are willing to prescribe it when it is necessary and ADHD is well recognized as a mental illness.

Dr. Z :

Yes if you do ask your doctor in Ohio that you want to taper off them until you see the psychiatrist in January, ask for a prescription of Valium because you want to make a switch from Xanax to Valium as this is easier to taper off of and avoid withdrawal symptoms

Customer:

I know, I was floored. Many doctors are wary of accepting a patient without insurance. I have to wait for it to take affect.

Dr. Z :

Here is a good tapering schedule by the world renowned Dr. Ashton

Customer:

thank you.

Customer:

you said you knew doctors in Illinois. I live in Aurora, is there a possibility you know any in that area?

Dr. Z :

Actually many doctors like when you do not have insurance because then you pay right there and they do not have to go through insurance companies to get their money

Customer:

That's what I thought also

Dr. Z :

Let me check for you

Customer:

Thank you so very much

Dr. Z :

So I do not know of any in your area specifically, but these three psychiatrists were recommended to me by a colleague so they may be able to help you

Dr. Z :

Was there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

No unfortunately. Is it possible to contact you again?

Dr. Z :

Yes you are more than welcome to contact me again by putting "For DoctorZ only" before your question or you can type the question from my homepage

Customer:

Thank you again Dr. Z.

Dr. Z :

I know the medications are effective for you, but I also would like to recommend these treatment books as well

Dr. Z :

They may help you lessen the symptoms somewhat until January for you

Dr. Z :

I wish you all the best with your treatment and it was my pleasure to help you today. I truly hope that you get these medications that you need soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much

Customer:

Of course. You have allowed me to express my issues and although not able to give me direct help, you have given me paths and concerns to share. I did have my mother helping me and she found out I had one other option to call Family Counseling of Aurora Hospital. ?? I'll try anything to not return to a horrible panic state. Thank you again.

Customer:

You may hear from me again.

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always here to help and you are more than welcome to contact me in the future.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX good day

Dr. Z :

You are most welcome :)

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.