Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

yes, iam leannesisco and have been diagnosed with bipolar

yes, iam leannesisco and have been diagnosed with bipolar disease I have a compulsive problem with spending money . I know I can manage better. I don't make excuses because of my problems but is it one of the problems that is typical behavior for my bipolar? I tend to very fast at decisions

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about your situation.

Customer:

its ok it gets frustrating I have accepted my problem and try to go on

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you please describe the main symptoms you present and for how long have you been feeling this way and wastng money this compulsively, for me to better understand your situation?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Compulsive spending is not a direct symptom of bipolar disorder, but a consequence of manic episodes, which are typical or bipolar disorder. But is this compulsive problem always present and not limited to your manic episodes?

Customer:

to spend money is a very hard obstacle for me. my mind about some purchases is crazy. I know I can do better. it s been going all of my adult life ever since I got married and our son. I feel out of control on some of my spending.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You could suffer of bipolar and also of an anxiety disorder leading to this compulsive shopping or spending addiction.

Customer:

yes that's exactly what my diagnoses is I don't try to make excuses but I was curious to see if this typical behavior

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Then I would say that it seems to be a totally independent and serious issue, besides of your bipolar disorder, and as I just said, it is a real addiction, -spending addiction,and as with any other addiction it requires adequate professional psychological treatment, otherwise it would just get worse with time

Customer:

yes would u suggest a counselor for this issue and what is something I can do to help my self till then

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

For people who suffer of bipolar disorder, specially type I , when in manic episodes they could present episodes of compulsive shopping and even stealing from stores, but what you seem to describe here matched spending addiction

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This requires individual and group psychotherapy for addictions

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thus the psychotherapist should be specialized in treating addictions.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This disorder is rooted and fueled by anxiety, this is the core of your treatment needs to be focused on developing and improving anxiety management and better coping skills beside of resolving personal life issues creating anxiety and depression

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You could work on doing things different while getting psychotherapeutic support, like sticking a a shopping list and not spending nothing that is not in that list.

Customer:

I believe if I start today doing away with debit cards and using allotted cash that might help and ask myself why im doing this do I need this and check to see how I feel at the time.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Only pay with cash if possible, you set your own rules, and the more you prevent and control your behaviors the better you would be able to rehabilitate from this addiction...

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Literally get rid of credit cards, that's essential

Customer:

yes I agree we can to choose to change behaviors I think.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Think the same way you would need to deal with any other addiction like alcohol. if you get wine, and any other alcohol into your house, you would be sabotaging your rehabilitation and relapse over and over again, right?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

We always have the right, need, power and responsibility to choose what we want to create in our lives and take actions from there, and when we feel overwhelmed or unable to use this power, we need to commit to our rehabilitation process with necessary ptrofessional support and the help of our loved ones.

Customer:

yes sir. I want feel like a normal person and not a mentally ill person. I feel like iam half way intelligent person

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Do everything to avoid stores specially offering discounts, buying by phone or online.

Customer:

ok I agree thanks for steering me in the right way

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This is because your addiction has been deeply undermining from your ability to think straight, to your mood, functioning and relationships, then please commit to start truly supporting yourself instead of fueling further self-destructive behaviors and pain.

Customer:

thank u

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Finally start implementing new behaviors, from working out to sharing with healthy friends soemthing productive and/or enjoyable, and seriously consider joining a support group

Customer:

yes I work out a local gym I like crafting and also write poetry

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Like a DA - Debtors Anonymous- group

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Perfect then start taking healthy advantage go everything healthy and constructive in your life. and get the right support

Customer:

thanks for your info.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Here you could find directory of some support groups: http://debtorsanonymous.org/admin/index.php/find

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You'e very welcome. Please take gentle care and conisstent action

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

and feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or to follow up since I am here willing to support you as possible.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please rate session before you leave the chat. Thanks.

Customer:

thanks have a good day

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You too.