Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

what does loving to see ones own blood mean in idealizing

what does loving to see one's own blood mean in idealizing transference condition?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 5 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your question

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Z :

This is in an interesting matter you bring up, but I would like to ask some question to get more information so that I can better assist you

Customer:

ok

Dr. Z :

Is the seeing one's own blood a result of self-harm at all?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

person is in pain, cuts herself but not seriously deep, and the flow of blood feels satisfactory/aesthetic

Dr. Z :

So this is actually very common for individuals who self-harm, but are not suicidal. It helps the person to feel more real and it does induce a calming effect for these individuals.

Dr. Z :

Some even report that seeing blood means that they cut just deep enough and they did it right

Dr. Z :

This is called a maladaptive coping mechanism, so it does not have to do with transference specifically

Customer:

'for these individuals' are these indiviuals who are diagnosed with idealizing transference condition ?

Customer:

or narcissim ?

Dr. Z :

Doubtful, most of these individuals would be diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). Idealizing transference usually is projected onto a therapist or partner where they believe the person is perfect and infallible.

Dr. Z :

The only way it can impact idealizing transference is where the person develops an unhealthy attachment to someone else and this is characteristic of BPD, where the idealize and attach themselves to others

Customer:

so it wouldnt be necessarily related to narcissim in any way?

Dr. Z :

No, narcissistic people do not tend to hurt themselves because they feel they are perfect. But there are rare cases when they do not meet that perfection and this causes anxiety/stress and then they decide to hurt themselves, this is called narcissistic injury, but this is typically impulsive and related to suicide or serious self-injury, not the sight of blood. Also this is very rare and controversial by some theorists.

Customer:

thank you for the information. Isnt maladaptive coping mechanism is also related to Borderline Personality Disorder?

Customer:

i mean to say, what would this mean in pathology ?

Dr. Z :

Very much so related to BPD, that is why I mentioned it. This cutting and calming effect of seeing one's own blood is more characteristic of repeat self-harmers, which are typically people who have BPD. What this means for their pathology is that they do not have the adequate coping mechanisms and therapeutic skills at this point, which is why they rely on maladaptive coping mechanisms that make things worse for them

Dr. Z :

Do you have any questions or concerns?

Customer:

yes, always ! but thank you for your time :)

Dr. Z :

Well you are more than welcome to ask me anything you like

Customer:

or- just one last thing - could this maladaptive coping mechanisms related to BPD be treated via therapy or is it more likely to treat with medicine ?

Dr. Z :

It would be treated with therapy, more specifically Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT). Here is a good website that explains DBT in a adequate detail.

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 5 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.