Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have been taking 300 mg Wellbutrin for approximately two

I have been taking 300 mg Wellbutrin for approximately two years and about one year ago added 50 mg Pristiq. I would like to stop taking the Pristiq and I am now in day three of discontinuing that medication. I feel a bit dizzy and irritable. Can you suggest anything to reduce the withdrawal effects?

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

Some of the symptoms you are describing can be symptoms of SSRI/SNRI discontinuation syndrome, and this occurs when you try to taper off a SSRI/SNRI medication like Pristiq.

Dr. Z :

The good news is that you are on a very low dosage of this medication, so most likely you will not get any severe withdrawal effects from this. But you can do two things if you like.The first thing you can do is to taper down slowly by decreasing the dosage of the Pristiq gradually. So you can split the pill and take half everyday for a week and then take it every other day and then you can discontinue from that medication. If you stop the medication abruptly it causes a shock to the system and this why you get the withdrawal effects.

Dr. Z :

Actually you should not split the Pristiq, but instead take it every other day for one week, and then every 3 days for the second week and then discontinue the medication

Dr. Z :

Or you can switch to Prozac and taper off of that at a gradual pace. The reason for the switch to Prozac is because it is a longer acting SSRI antidepressant thus easier to taper off of and discontinue with minimal withdrawal effects.