Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have was in the hospital for 3 times depression and

I have was in the hospital for 3 times depression and chronic anxiety disorder and ptsd. My current doctor does not approve of my Xanax which helps a lot of the anxiety as well. What can I do? I am doing very well with Effexor and Xanax. I am scared of the changes. Can you give me some advise

Rhonda Twitty [email protected]

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

May I ask is your current doctor a regular physician or a psychiatrist?

Customer:

My Dr. is Michelle Balmedia

Dr. Z :

Okay, but I wanted to ask if she was a psychiatrist or not? Psychiatrists are more trained in the use of psychotropic medications and usually more capable of prescribing a benzodiazepine like Xanax to help you with your symptoms.

Customer:

I don't know the name of the therapist and the psychiatrist yet. The all are all doctors from Sandills Medidal Fountation

Customer:

yes

Customer:

I am scared I don't want to have to go through what I went through before

Dr. Z :

So if this doctor will not prescribe you the necessary medication because Xanax is an addictive medication and can lead to abuse in a minority of cases, you can try to request to see another physician or a psychiatrist that will prescribe that medication for you.

Dr. Z :

Or you can try a medication that is not addictive called Gabapentin that works similarly as the Xanax, but is not as strong or as effective as the Xanax

Customer:

What ismgabapentin

Customer:

gabapentin

Dr. Z :

Gabapentin is a medication that mimics a neurotransmitter in your brain called GABA, which effectively reduces anxiety. It is a similar function as Xanax, but Xanax actually reacts to the GABA receptor and increases the neurotransmitter so there is an increase in GABA in the brain and not merely a mimic of it.

Dr. Z :

Gabapentin has been shown to be effective for anxiety, but like I said not as effective as the Xanax

Dr. Z :

Just my first suggestion would be to see a different doctor that would prescribe Xanax as it is useful for you

Customer:

Thank you.... I had a doctor..... that was working with me.... but his corporate office shut down his practice.

Dr. Z :

I understand, but most qualified psychiatrists are capable of prescribing Xanax and it is not destructive of a medication when taken properly and under close supervision of a psychiatrist

Dr. Z :

Is there anything else I can assist you with?