RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

I am currently on 60mg of Cymbalta. I suffer from pouts of

I am currently on 60mg of Cymbalta. I suffer from pouts of depression and anxiety.
I act impulsively and I find that this medication does not help with impulsive thoughts or actions. Please help me

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about this overwhelming situation.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

It could be truly tough to experience any of these disorders, and to have both is just overwhelming

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you please tell me for how long have you been suffering from these disorders and for how long have you been using this medication, and if you have not received any psychological treatment to rehabilitate from them?

Customer:

I have been on Cymbalta about 10 months. I am currently seeing a new therapist and see a psychiatrist regularly. I have been suffering from these symptoms in its extreme for 3 years. I have been on Prozac, Lexapro and Effexor in the past. Prozac was the original drug prescribed along with zanix. All cause gastro issues.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see, and unhappily this is the less severe side effect you would get from these medications, the bigger problems are about addictive issues and real damage to your internal organs and physiology. You have not mentioned any psychological treatment to actually rehabilitate from these overwhelming disorders, right?

Customer:

I am in therapy. I just want to control the impulsivity.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

How has therapy allowed you to work on this specific issue?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Has it been working for you in this area?

Customer:

I am no longer on zanix..that was at the beginning.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

What is the plan-strategy you have been working on to reduce your anxiety and impulsive-compulsive tendencies?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

While medication could numb some of your symptoms, no psychiatric drug would allow you to rehabilitate from any of these disorders, that's why only effective psychotherapy is so necessary. if your therapy sessions have not been that effective, then adjustments are necessary for sure, since it is not good for you to feel this overwhelmed.

Customer:

I have seen three therapists in the three years. One of the therapist who was wonderful does not except insurance. I cant afford the fees so I switched to a new therapist who answered phone call while in session and could not recall facts about me and discussed himself for a large part of the session. I am now seeing a new therapist for about three weeks she seems okay at this point. No strategies have been given me ...just exercise.

Customer:

What do I do??

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

That's awful!

Customer:

Please help me

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

But I have to acknowlldge that many, many therapist could have more serious issues than their clients, and that's why we all need to be careful from selecting them and not to keep them if they are not good, ethical and competent, if they do not do a real good job supporting us the way we need and deserve

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please do not waste money with wrong professionals, if the current one is truly competent then she/he needs to be much more proactive and effective supporting you, you need at least one individual session a week, intensive therapy and at least help from a support group to make it work better

Customer:

What are strategies that I should be looking for? Can you recommend a therapist? A support group ?

Customer:

I am in so much pain inside I want to get better.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The therapist must be able to allow you to vent and process painful experiences leading to these disorders whole literally teaching you and modeling how to effectively cope, using CBT. DBT and other cognitive strategies, referring you toa local support group and keeping regular monitoring as needed

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Where are you located?

Customer:

In Brooklyn, New York

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Let me see

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

i do not personally know any good therapist in your area, and would not help referring you to general directories that you could browse yourself like at psychologytoday.com

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Let me try to find support groups there

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please look here for directory for support groups:https://www.adaa.org/supportgroups

Customer:

You don't recommend medication

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Only a psychiatrist who knows your medical history after assessing you could prescribe and recommend medication, that is the ethical and legal way to support a patient, even more when these medications have so many different effects in different people

Customer:

I have researched and feel totally comfortable with the psychiatrist,. He listens and is very supportive. he has called me back when I had questions or concerns. I feel good about this new therapist ..she seems okay at this point only had 3 sessions.

Customer:

It is so difficult feeling like this...you feel alone.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Then please stick to them and ask them for further support and referrals to support groups and any additional source of help that could facilitate your rehabilitation process

Customer:

I thank you.. I wish you lived in Brooklyn, you seem proactive and dedicated.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I would love to support you too. I will send you information on online counseling in case you want to consider it. Now I need to leave. Thank you for your trust

Customer:

Thank You

Online counseling is a source of confidential and professional support, allowing people to get the expertise and support they need, regardless of their geographical location, work schedule, personal responsibilities, commuting and time problems and many other factors that use to limit access to good psychotherapeutic support.
There are different website offering these services, including pearl.etherapi.com, mentaline.com and online private practices too. There is a new program at JustAnswer allowing experts who offer counseling and psychotherapeutic services to offer this type of support to customers interested in their benefits.

In case you would like to try it, just let me know and I would provide necessary information since I am willing to support you that way too.

Thank you for your trust,

Rafael