Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I feel like little girl inside an adult body at times. I am

I feel like little girl inside an adult body at times. I am 36 and it had been going on for years, Like I have two different personalities. The adult me and then it can shift where I feel 100% like the child. I do have Post traumatic stress disorder. Though my personalities that I am aware of is my adult self and than I find it shifting to the little child right away and than I feel like the little girl.

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Customer:

ok

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are having these experiences and personality shifts, what you are describing is called Dissociation and is very common with PTSD and so is regressing to a child-like state like you are describing, which is a type of dissociation

Dr. Z :

This is the way of your subconscious mind to protect your conscious mind from the trauma and reliving the trauma, it is called a maladaptive coping mechanism

Customer:

I do feel like that a lot. I have nightmare a lot. Though the shift from adult to child is all the time. The nightmare are bad though only come after something happens in my week or day. Makes sense! I have felt this way for many years

Dr. Z :

The nightmares are associated with PTSD as you are very sensitive to your everyday life and this is your subconscious trying to process it while you sleep resulting in nightmares unfortunately

Customer:

Do you think there is help for this or is it something you just have to live with?

Dr. Z :

There is definitely hope, I would like to suggest the talk therapy that you have been doing, but also something Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), which is relatively new, but has shown positive results with the treatment of PTSD and dissociation

Customer:

ok

Dr. Z :

Also for the talk therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is considered the best therapy modality with the most evidence to treat PTSD successfully, so that should be your talk therapy that you are in.

Dr. Z :

Also there are medication that can substantially lessen the symptoms of PTSD, so that you are more responsive to the therapy, because therapy is the only true cure for PTSD while the medication can only lessen symtpoms.

Dr. Z :

Here is a list of good medication to treat PTSD

Customer:

ok, I will continue that.

Dr. Z :

So you definitely can cure this PTSD and stop this dissociation, but it does take time because of the psychological impact the trauma had on you

Dr. Z :

Do you have any questions or concerns that you would like to add?

Customer:

No, I believe that it makes sense and you did help. So thank you much. Really appreciate it.

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. I wish you the best with your continued treatment and I hope these symptoms and dissociation cease swiftly for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much