Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I quit taken Fluoxetine and replaced it with Saint Johns Wort.

Customer Question

I quit taken Fluoxetine and replaced it with Saint Johns Wort. I took Fluoxetine for roughly 9 years and I take Geodon and grapefruit juice to double the effect of the Geodon do you think I will be okay not taking the Fluoxetine and do you think the grapefruit juice will double the Geodon in my blood?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you with this question.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have been given these two medications to manage a specific disorder, and your physician or psychiatrist has determined the proper dosages for each, and the interactions in order to best help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Certain elements in Geodon react negatively with grapefruit juice. The combination may interact to increase the strength of the Geodon, but may also decrease the strength or cause unwanted physical or mental side effects.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There is a warning with Geodon NOT TO TAKE GRAPEFRUIT JUICE with it, and I believe that you should heed this warning.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Actually, there is a high risk warning about taking fluoxetine and Geodon (ziprasidone) together, on www.drugs.com

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It says:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Interactions between your selected drugs

fluoxetine ↔ ziprasidone

Applies to: fluoxetine, Geodon (ziprasidone)

Using ziprasidone together with FLUoxetine is not recommended. Combining these medications can increase the risk

Full Size Image
of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or fast or pounding heartbeats during treatment with either of these medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Here is the link. You should alert your physician:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1115-0,2330-1540

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

St. John's Wort also can control your depression, but is generally not as powerful as fluoxetine. However, unlike fluoxetine it is NOT contraindicated (bad reaction) with Geodon.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You should talk to your physician about giving you a more powerful antidepressant, such as mirtazepine, which will not react negatively with St. John's Wort, if the SJW is not effective for you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If the SJW is helping and you have already made the transition from fluoxetine to SJW, then there should be no problem.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

However, follow the scientific/medical wisdom and avoid the grapefruit juice. You are only rising unwanted negative side effects.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you great success and shall keep you in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC