Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

what can I do to get my brother to go to an anger management

what can I do to get my brother to go to an anger management therapy group or one on one session on his own? he says no without ever giving it a second thought.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that your brother has this issue with anger, I can understand how that can distress you

Dr. Z :

May I ask a few questions to get some more information, so that I can better assist you

Dr. Z :

Does your brother have issues with verbal or physical anger, or both?

Dr. Z :

Does he live on his own or with someone else?

Customer:

just our mom

Dr. Z :

Okay, and is this verbal or physical anger that he displays or both?

Customer:

I lived him for yrs up until 5 mnths ago. he has no close friends to hang with anymore.

Customer:

both physical and verbal

Dr. Z :

Alright, well it is difficult to compel him to seek treatment for his anger issues involuntarily. But some things can be done to persuade him, like family counseling for the everyone could get his foot in the door and help bring his anger issues to the attention of a therapist is one option. Another option that can be done is an ultimatum where something important is either taken away or restricted from him, like maybe not living with his mother anymore, unless he seeks counseling

Dr. Z :

He cannot be forced to go to counseling for this issue or he will get no benefit from it unfortunately, he must want to go to therapy to help with his anger issues.

Dr. Z :

Another option that he can do is to look at self-help treatment books that can be very beneficial for him as well

Dr. Z :

Right now he thinks he does not have a problem with his anger, so family counseling is the best option in my opinion to show how his anger effects his family or possibly a family/friend intervention to help him understand and show him how his anger effects others.

Customer:

agree. when it comes to mom and bro going together- I think that's better than by himself in beginning sessions. but I really cant come up with how to get bro to even go with mom...mental block.

Dr. Z :

Well that will be the difficult matter because your mother will have to really force the issue on him and be persistent as well. If he continue this way, he will shut everyone out from his life and may even be kicked out of the house too, which would be unfortunate for him. Your brother must understand this

Dr. Z :

Also this is a good book on anger management as well

Dr. Z :

And this is a technique I use with patients to help them be more assertive and appropriate when expressing their anger.

Customer:

I can axcess these websites on this chat. meaning i don't have to write this down now rite?

Dr. Z :

Yes you do not have to write them down at all, you can right click them and select Open in New Window

Dr. Z :

Also when you finish rating me, this chat will be sent as a link to your email, if it has not already, so you can always use it for future reference. In addition, this chat will be saved in your JA account under My Questions so you can always go back to it when you need to

Dr. Z :

So all the links will be saved for you

Customer:

ok

Dr. Z :

Basically though, you are in a tough position as he cannot be forced to go to therapy for his treatment, but these are some ideas that may be able to work and compel him though

Dr. Z :

Although it is difficult

Customer:

for each question asked on this website, how much does it cost? also what is the limit on duration?

Dr. Z :

Oh there is no time limit on this chat, you just pay for this one chat, so you can ask as many questions as you like right now

Dr. Z :

So you the 29 dollars that you paid is all that you will be charged.

Customer:

great stuff thanks so much for your help. I wanted to ask you another question about myself if i could. Since about 10 yrs ago my head (cns) if you will, is very, very sensitive ej.- doing things i love: reading, exercise, math ej.- hot and cold temperatures What would be good for healing, or recovering from head trauma like that? more nutritious diet is the only real idea that i have.

Dr. Z :

Well that is a difficult question to ascertain, have you ever had an MRI done or saw a neurologist for this issue?

Dr. Z :

Because I would need to see a scan of the brain to determine if there is any noticeable organic damage that could cause these issues.

Dr. Z :

If there is no organic or physical damage that is noticeable, then some individuals get relief from these symptoms with prescription migraine medication

Customer:

yes. mri okay. with other doctor I did a sleep study, couldn't fall asleep long enough to complete. didn't follow up. over the yrs just lost a lot of hope with this problem. i feel if i could get my head back, that i would have my life back.

Dr. Z :

Head traumas are very difficult to diagnose and treat. You can try going to these clinics across the country headed by Dr. Amen that uses Brain imaging and may be able to have a solution and treatment for your symptoms.

Dr. Z :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

no im good for now. i cant spend too much time on here...little light headed. thanks so much for everthing

Dr. Z :

I understand, but I was happy that I was able to help you and give you some guidance with your brother's anger issues. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much