Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have lost my job 2 weeks ago. I have not slept at all.It

I have lost my job 2 weeks ago. I have not slept at all.It feels like my mind is turned on all the time. I want to move on I am trying to let go but it keeps hanging on.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are going through these symptoms currently, I can imagine how distressing this is for you

Dr. Z :

It sounds like you are definitely experiencing a significant amount of anxiety, which is natural for what you are currently going through

Dr. Z :

I would like to recommend a type of therapy called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), which is the most evidence based therapy to treat anxiety/stress and is very effective too. CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective as well, then your symptoms will lessen.

Dr. Z :

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

Dr. Z :

In addition, these two worksheets are very good at helping lessen anxiety symptoms. It can help you focus on the big picture and the objective/positive thoughts and outcomes.

Dr. Z :

Also individuals with severe anxiety have a poor coping mechanism, so this worksheet will help you develop a better coping strategy to manage your symptoms better.

Dr. Z :

This is a link for something called Progressive Muscle Relaxation that can help you create a long term calm by using muscle tension and release techniques; it can help manage your anxiety and is very similar to a style of meditation.

Dr. Z :

These two books are also really effective in helping manage anxiety as well.

Dr. Z :

Now for the supplements, the St. Johns Wort, Omega-3, Glutamate, Passion Flower, KAVA, Magnesium supplements, and Valerian root can be added to increase anti-anxiety effects as well

Dr. Z :

For your difficulty sleeping I would recommend the use of a natural supplement called Melatonin that should be able to help you sleep better too

Dr. Z :

Now if you wanted medications, as therapy is a gradual process and may take some time to be effective for you, while the medications can work very quickly I would recommend the use of Lexapro at 10-20mg as it is a newer generation of a SSRI antidepressant and is very effective with minimal side effects. Also you can choose to add a benzodiazepine (e.g. Ativan, Xanax, or Klonopin) at night to help lessen your anxiety and help you sleep too as they have sedative properties. Now the benzodiazepines are very physically addicting, so they should be used at a low dosage and only as needed

Dr. Z :

The medications are very effective, but they only lessen the symptoms and are not a cure. Only therapy is a true cure, for this anxiety you are feeling. By the way the technical term for this would be called an Adjustment Disorder with Anxiety

Customer:

I do not feel any anxiety

Dr. Z :

Really? What do you feel then?

Customer:

It is hard to explain MY head feels like it is on all the time I fell emotion less

Dr. Z :

Well it could be a mix of depressive symptoms and anxiety symptoms, as these are very commonly seen together (around 65 percent of the time). The mind racing like you are describing is very indicative of anxiety that is why I thought it was anxiety at first. It could be very difficult to understand what you are feeling right now because your mind is still adjusting to everything

Customer:

after 2 weeks

Dr. Z :

The "emotion less" feeling you described is called numbing and is more associated with depressive symptoms.

Customer:

how can I help my self

Dr. Z :

Well those CBT techniques I listed earlier are great and very effective for both anxiety and depressive symptoms as these symptoms are associated with adjusting to losing your job 2 weeks ago. Also the natural supplements and the medications if you choose to have them are also effective for both of these symptoms

Dr. Z :

Also this is a treatment book on depressive symptoms that I would like to add to the other books too

Dr. Z :

Obviously a therapist who specializes in CBT would be more ideal, but you mentioned that financial constraints make that difficult, so I wanted to give you this self-help option that is very effective too

Dr. Z :

Also this is a self-help website with many many more good techniques to help with your symptoms as well.

Dr. Z :

The good news is that because this is an adjustment disorder it is usually temporary and the symptoms will resolve on their own, but with the CBT techniques it will resolve a lot faster for you

Customer:

Thanks for your help Can I get this sent to my email so I can check these resources

Dr. Z :

Actually I do not have access to your email as the administrators prevent the experts from accessing that information to keep you personal information private, but when you finish rating me, this chat will be sent as a link to your email, if it has not already, so you can always use it for future reference. In addition, this chat will be saved in your JA account under My Questions so you can always go back to it when you need to

Customer:

can I get this sent to my email so I can check out these resourses? Thank you for your help

Dr. Z :

Well like I said I do not have access to your email, but once you rate me a link of this chat should be sent to your email so that you will always have access to it. And also this chat will be saved on your JA account as well

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.