Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Im currently on Zoloft, Seroquel & Abilify. These medications

I'm currently on Zoloft, Seroquel & Abilify. These medications worked for a while, but now not so much. I have severe depression, anxiety, panic attacks, ADHD & borderline personality disorder. I have to be on medication to function. I'm nearing 40 & my husband & I want to have a child before it's too late. I would have to stay on medication during the pregnancy. Can you advise of medications that might be similar to what I'm taking, but safer while pregnant. I've heard that Seroquel in particular can have a lot of side effects & recently has been increasing difficult for me handle.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

First off I want to mention that all psychotropic medications do have a possibility of causing harm to the fetus during pregnancy, but some are less risky than others obviously

Dr. Z :

The Zoloft is actually considered safe during pregnancy, but since it is not effective for you I would recommend Celexa or Prozac, as these are effective SSRI antidepressant medications that can be effective. Also the SNRI antidepressants medications like Effexor, Pristiq, or Cymbalata have been considered safe to use during pregnancy as well

Dr. Z :

The Seroquel and Abilify are in a class of medications called antipsychotics are not typically prescribed during pregnancy if they do not have to be. The first semester is it definitely not warranted for the fear of causing fetal malformation, but can be continued after the first semester although there is a risk

Dr. Z :

For anxiety, the use of Valium can be used safely though during pregnancy, but you should not use some of the faster acting benzodiazepines like Ativan or Xanax

Dr. Z :

Remeron is a great antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication that is a Category C during pregnancy, and can cause some harm to the fetus, but it has been prescribed for woman that need the medication

Dr. Z :

I would also like to recommend the use of Buspar though as this is a more effective medication for anxiety and panic attacks and is safe to use during pregnancy

Dr. Z :

Do you have any questions or concerns so far?

Customer:

Buspar, Effexor & Prozac caused me issues, but I haven't tried the rest. Are there any issues with mixing the medications while pregnant?

Dr. Z :

So far there have no interaction studies on the mixing of these medications during pregnancy but the ones that are safe without a history of causing fetal harm (Category A and B by the FDA) should be okay when mixing medications. But like I said all the medications have the potential to cause some harm, but I have chosen the ones that are considered the safest for your child during pregnancy

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX some research & speak with my doctor.

Dr. Z :

Anytime, is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer:

I believe that is all for now, thank you.