Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Im not sure which direction to turn, if I should just see

I'm not sure which direction to turn, if I should just see a psychologist or a sex therapist. I have been married for 28 years. I am not one to want sex on a regular basis. I can do with or without it. I think part of the problem is that my libido is basically non existent as is physical feeling. My husband gets very frustrated and then gets mad. He feels like I only go to him when he gets mad, which isn't entirely true, but when he gets upset, I realize that I have not given him any for 2 - 3 weeks. I don't enjoy is much since I can't feel sensations. I have a very stressful job and come home mentally exhausted which doesn't help, I fall asleep once I sit down in my chair or if we go to bed and start to cuddle. I keep telling him, that his shoulder is my comfort spot and where I am safe, that is why it is easy to fall asleep. He has told me that he is tired fighting it and it is exhausting. He says he will not go to counseling. I am willing to do what I need to do to correct my problems. Any suggestions?

Dr. Z :

Hello

Dr. Z :

I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

Please give me a couple minutes to read over your question more carefully, so that I can better assist you

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are currently going through these issues, I can understand why you are distressed about this situtation

Dr. Z :

Well a sex therapist would be better for this situation as they have more training with these particular issues then compared to a traditional psychologist.

Dr. Z :

I can try to find one in your area if you like.

Dr. Z :

But also I want to add that therapy is a gradual process and it does take some months to be effective for you, so there are some medications out there that may be able to help as well

Customer:

That is kinda what I was thinking. How do you find a good sex therapist?

Dr. Z :

Well what is your zip code and I will look and try to compile a list for you

Customer:

91739

Dr. Z :

Okay give me a few minutes to compile a good list for you

Customer:

Ok thank you.

Dr. Z :

I know there is a lot in Los Angeles, but is that too far for you given LA traffic? I went to school in LA for my doctorate, so that is why I am asking

Customer:

LA would be ok if necessary. I told my husband that I will do what I have to do to make things right.

Dr. Z :

Well I found one in Riverside and one Pasadena, and these are certified Sex Therapists so that means they have went through extensive training

Dr. Z :

I am going to keep looking though, so please give me a quick couple minutes.

Customer:

Ok - thanks. I'll look at these in the mean time.

Dr. Z :

Yes those are the closest Certified Sex Therapists, other than the many in Los Angeles. But I do have a list of therapists that specialize in Sex Therapy, although they are not certified, but they are very close to you, would you like that list too?

Customer:

Sure

Dr. Z :

Okay give me a minute

Dr. Z :

Here are some good ones that specialize in Sex Therapy in your area

Dr. Z :

Would you also like a link to some medications that some women use to help increase your libido?

Customer:

That would be great.

Dr. Z :

Personally out of this I have seen wonderful results from patients and in studies from Wellbutrin which is an antidepressant

Customer:

Thank you - I actually wondered if maybe I have gone into a depression and didn't realize it.

Customer:

I will do some research on all of this information that you have given to me. I appreciate your assistance.

Dr. Z :

Well the Sex Therapist can address depressive symptoms as well too

Dr. Z :

Anytime, is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer:

That is good to know.

Customer:

Thank you so much. I can't think of anything else at this time. Have a good evening.

Dr. Z :

You are most welcome and I wish you the best regarding this issue and hope that it will resolve soon for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

Thank you so much.